cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure MMS in Cluster Environment

Soo
Level 3
I'm running Exchange 2003 and Backup Exec v11d in Microsoft Cluster Environment where there is 2 nodes in the Microsoft Cluster Environment. I have another server that is configured as CASO.

Now I would to convert the Backup Exec in the Microsoft Cluster Environment to become a MMS in order to be managed by the another server that is configured as CASO.

I understand that I need to enable to MMS features in the licensing option but when I try to enable to MMS features in the licensing option. It state that the current backup exec v11d is a primary server and I can't enable the MMS features.

Plz advise is there anyway to convert Backup Exec v11d in Microsoft Cluster Environment to become a MMS.

Thanx.
10 REPLIES 10

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
HI,

It appear that you have also the SSO option installed on the cluster nodes, if that is the case and you want to use the CASO option and make this server an MMS server then SSO will need to be uninstall.

You can not have SSO and CASO running at the same time.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez
Advanced Technical Support Engineer

Soo
Level 3

Hi,

That means I can't have the SSO and the MMS option enable in the same server? Am I right?

By the way, is there any article or documentation from Symantec on the SSO and the MMS option that can't have the in the same server?

Plz advise.

Thanx.

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi,

Let me rephrase it.  You can not make a Primary SSO server an MMS server on CASO.  Is like trying to make a server a Primary and a Secondary at the same time in SSO.  If you are using CASO and has SSO as well, the Primary SSO and the CASO must be the same server.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez

Soo
Level 3
Hi,

In this case I can't enable the MMS option since my current server is a Primary SSO Server.

So is there any way where I can downgrade it to become a Secondary SSO server without having to uninstall the Backup Exec v11d and re-install it back in order to configure it as a Secondary SSO server and to enable the MMS option.

Plz advise.

Thanx a lot.

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Yes, you will need to make one of your Secondary SSO server the Primary SSO. 

How to make the primary database server highly available for the Shared Storage Option

How to promote a media server to a primary SAN SSO Server

Basic requirements for installing Backup Exec on a cluster

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez

Soo
Level 3
Hi,

Actually as I mention earlier, I have 2 server that is running on Microsoft Cluster and another 1 server that is configure as CASO. Total there is 3 server.

So right now how did I enable the MMS feature in the 2 server that is running on Microsoft Cluster in order to be manage by the another server that is configure with CASO? The 2 server that is running on Microsoft Cluster have the SSO option install as well.

Plz advise.

Thanx.

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Is your CASO server connected to the SAN?  Does the CASO server running the SSO option as well?

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez

Soo
Level 3
Hi,

The CASO server is not connected to SAN at the moment, but there is a SSO option enable.

Plz advise.

Thanx.

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi,

In this case, you will have two options:

1) Get the CASO server to the SAN and make it the primary, then you can have your cluster servers as MMS
2) Uninstall the CASO option from the current server, make the Primary of the SSO group your CASO server, then make the old CASO server and MMS server of the CASO group.

You will need to decide what you want to do, since in your current configuration you will not be able to get it working.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez

Soo
Level 3
Hi,

I was trying on Option 1 and I understand that I need to enable to MMS features in the licensing option but when I try to enable to MMS features in the licensing option in both node in Microsoft Cluster. It state that the current backup exec v11d is a primary server and I can't enable the MMS features.

Plz advise.

Thanx.