cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Remote Agent to use 2nd NIC on same network segment

Dan_Kent
Level 2
I don't understand why I can't configure a 2nd NIC in a remote server for backup traffic with a media server on the same network segment. I have setup the agent to advertise a specific IP, but I'm told that will not work and it doesn't. How is the communication handled between media server and remote server? Does it use DNS which defaults to NIC #1?
7 REPLIES 7

P_Barendse
Level 2
place the IP adress of the 2nd networkcard of the server you want to backup in the backup server HOST file.

I.E. You gave your server the ip 192.68.100.100
Place in the HOST file of your backup server the following line:
192.168.100.100 Servername #comment

You can find your hostfile in %windows%\system32\drivers\etc

Dan_Kent
Level 2
Thanks much! The test worked so I don't see why the real thing won't.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
With this approach, won't all BE Media server to server communications take place over the second network? If your BE server is also another application server, could it have implications on the operation of those applications?
Just thinking out loud...

P_Barendse
Level 2
Hywel,

Give the 2nd NIC ip adres 192.168.100.100
The 1st NIC Ip adres is 192.168.1.1

The server that needs to run over the 2nd backupline must have and 2nd ip adress in the .100. range. Ie 192.168.100.101. You can put multi ip adresses on 1 nic.

When you change the host file on the backup server, it will always use the 2nd backupserver nic for that server, but it uses the 1st nic for every other server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
See the Admin Guide pg 318

Changing the Backup Network for a Job

You do this on the media server, not the target server(s)

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
If the feature works as described in the Admin Guide, there should be no requirement to edit the hosts file though.
Is this a case of the feature not working as described?
(I don't use this feature, so have no experience of it)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Don't use it myself either, and haven't seen any posts here about it in quite a while.

I think v10.0 may have had a glitch but v10d seems to work (again, from what I;ve seen here)