Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmation on something

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

I posted a question here some time ago and one of the "Veritas Employees" answered it for me informing me of something interesting.
He said that you need 13-15% free on a drive in order to back it up. (Similiar to a Defrag).
I cannot find the relevant post so can one of the employees confirm is this the case?

The same problem is occuring in another site now and I think it's becuase of the amount of disk space free - in this case 2%.

I would appreciate an answer on this ASAP please.

Thanks,
Gilly
4 REPLIES 4

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Guys,

Really need an answer on this urgently!

Thanks
Gilly

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Are you taking backups to disk instead of tape, and are you talking of disk space on the target disk?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
The backups are to tape.
The disk in question has 2% disk space free which amounts to about 1.3GB.
I was led to believe that you needed a certain amount of free space on any disk you wish to back up in order for the OFO to work regardless of the location of the Cache.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Recommendation:

1) Always place the cache volume completely different from the DATA volume or the volume intended for backup.

2) Never place the cache volume on the drive which is used as Backup media such as B2D(Backup-To-Disk).

3) Incase you have placed the cache volume on the same volume as DATA then make sure there is ample space for cache file size because when multiple volumes are SNAPPED it gets SNAPPED SIMULTANIOUSLY and therefore consumes twice the cache file size that is 1 for 1 drive.

This can really put lot of load on the CACHE volume drive. In such cases if the JOB is failing (due to lack of disk space) its always recommended to go for "process logical volumes one at a time" this definitely delays the backup job but its always a safe strategy.

YOu can refer the following technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/268450

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.