cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous Protection Server 2010 R3 and Office documents not syncing when set to 'whenever a file changes'

ppow
Level 2

Hi there

I'm currently testing CPS 2010 R3 and have installed on my test environment that runs on Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V Environment with all guest VM's running Windows Server 2008 R2.

I've installed the continuous protection server components on 2 servers, one as the protection server and one as the business server.

I've created a folder called shared and shared that with everyone full control permissions. The folder's NTFS permissions are FULL Control for the admin account used to install CPS and Modify for users.

I created a CPS job to continously replicate files whenever they change and copied some initial data into that shared folder.

I started the job and all was Ok and the files were replicated to the protection server.

On a third Windows 2008 R2 Terminal Server with Office 2007 installed, I then made a change to a Word document and saved the file, all seemed OK, but on the protection server I noticed that the change didn't sync or replicate properly and the original filename on the protection server was now set to 0 bytes in size and a .tmp file was created that was the size of the original file. This happens to all Office documents, Word, Excel etc.. but not to text documents I've edited with notepad or wordpad.

If I stop the job and restart, it syncs everything back to normal but obviously I want to use the 'whenever a file changes' option to continuously protect my file changes.

I know from other research that when Office edits a file, it creates a tmp file of the original file, creates a new blank file, copies the new contents and deletes the tmp file so it seems CPS syncs the first two changes but misses the final part of the edit process.

I've tried permissions, running as administrator but can't seem to figure it out.

I'm assuming this isn't normal behaviour? so hopefully someone can help?

I'm doing further testing by downgrading to CPS 2010 R2 and 2010 and see if that does the same thing.

Regards
Pete  

3 REPLIES 3

ppow
Level 2

I've performed some more testing and it appears that the issue above is specificaly related to Windows Server 2008 R2. What is causing the issues I still don't know.

I've installed the software on two 2008 servers and it now syncs the changes correctly, although there is still an issue with how it handles MS Office X format files.

If I make a change to a docx, xlsx or pptx file (or create a new one) then it replicates those changes OK, but if I was to try and open the file direct on the destination server or if I restore that file using the CPS console, then Office reports a corruption in the file, you click Ok and it asks you if you want to attempt to recover the content, so i clicked yes and the file opens with correct content. If I was to resave that file then it is OK. 97-2003 .doc, ppt, xls format documents work fine and don't have this issue.

If I was to Stop the replication job and restart it, then it resyncs the content and everything is fine but I want to perform continuous as file change replication so would have to keep stopping and restarting the job to have things working correctly.

I'm going to attempt to start a call with Symantec on this, as i can't think this is normal behaviour for a product that has been around for some years now.

Pete 

Siegfried
Level 3

Hi, i've got the same problem. Do you have a solution?

Thanks

John_Harris_6
Level 2

Hi,

I'm seeing exactly the same thing. I have opened a case with Symantec ( Case 600-753-832 ).

Will let you know how I get on.

John