cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous Protection Server Best Practice for Server Setup

John_Hoffman
Not applicable
I just setup a new 2003 server with CPS and in the document it talk about have at least four separate volumes. System,Journals,Backup Destination, and Snapshot Storage. And that is it, there was no information on how the determine how large the volumes need to be respect to the amount of data that is going to be backup. I am wondering if anyone has seen any links or papers on how to determine sizes and how the drives system should be configured (Multiple RAID 5,single RAID 5 Large 2TB...).
5 REPLIES 5

Jason_McClellan
Level 4
Here, here!

This would be very useful information. There is absolutely nothing on this.. of course they cannot tell you what you will need because it depends completely on how you configure it, but they can give you rough estimates based on certain default settings etc. to give you a starting point.
This technology sounds like it will eat up loads of disk space in no time at all..

Jeff_Dedey
Level 2
It sounds to me that our CPS media server will need to be a NAS itself. I am backing up 1.4 TB, and I would need my media server to have that much disc space. I only have 360 Gb, so I can't even use the CPS features. This could be a great product for a company with unlimited resources. I don't happen to work for one.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
It would be interesting to hear from someone that has found CPS really useful.
Regarding the subject matter of this thread- capacity planning- here are some rough numbers I used during my evaluation:
Backup destination volume: sum of all CPS client volume capacities.
Snapshot volume: 20% of backup destiantion volume
Journal : 1 GB initially

Something that I personally feel that is missing is the ability to compress the data and to use single instance storage at the backup Destination to reduce the disk space required for backup storage. Otherwise, CPS just seems like replication with snapshots. The tie-in with Backup Exec (the 'smart-link') never worked like I thought- If it's "smart" it shouldn't back up to tape until the CPS jobs are finished right?

Jason_McClellan
Level 4
You saying that there is not the ability to compress the CPS data, it is stored on a 1:1 basis? seems like a painfully obvious thing to have put in there!

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

We apologise for the late reply. Could you give us the latest Update/ status of the Issue.

Is your Question answered?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.