cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous protection server - There must be at least 2 available servers to create a backup job?

Roger_Ummels
Level 3
Hi,

We recently installed Backup Exec continuous protection server on our media server.

So on this machine we have the Continuous Management Service (CMS), the Continuous Protection Agent (CPA), the Administration Console, the Web Restore Server Component, and Indexing Component installed.

From the administration console I push installed the agent to a test server which will be the source for our data. The agent was installed by using the default options. The installation went OK and the server was rebooted. So I wanted to go straight ahead and create a backup job from the administration console, but it will give me a message saying "There must be at least 2 available servers to create a backup job". Also from the administration console the server with the agent installed is not visible.
Although the manual says that it may take a while for the server to show up on the list, I assume that "a while" is not meant to be longer than one day?

Anybody that can help me out with this situation?

Thanks in advance,

Roger

Message Edited by Roger Ummels on 06-15-200704:01 AM

6 REPLIES 6

mtechstecveb
Not applicable
Partner
Did you ever resolve this problem??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Steve

Roger_Ummels
Level 3
No,

I haven't resolved this yet. I posted this question last friday and I haven't received a reply, well, except for yours.

I would assume it's because the CPS is unable to see the server where I installed the agent, but why, I don't know. The installation of the agents on that server all installed succesfully.

Let me know if you happen to find something out?

Thanks.

TriadDigital
Level 3
I have the same problem, I pushed the CPS agents to my Exchange server and get the error. Any help would be great. Thanks!

-Anthony

jomarkk
Not applicable
I am also having the same error.  There is only one server in my backup group, and it will not let me add another one. 

Whenever I try to push the install using the CPS Wizard, I get this message,  "The CPS cannot be configured remotely.  You must upgrade using the CD."

So I can't create a backup job, nor can I push the software.  Frustrating.

arrow_203
Level 4
Check to ensure that the agents are running on both systems.  And that the Backup Exec Remote agent is installed and running as well.  I've found myself that the systems won't show up in the servers list unless you have the correct backup group name configured in the settings utility (which really just points to some registry settings). I can't recall the exact settings at the moment, but let me know if you need to know explicitly and I'll look them up for you tomorrow.

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
 That's is correct , Unlesss you don't have two servers you cannot create a job . As one would be the source and other the destination . 

Now , wither the software on client is not properly installed or the server is not seeing the client due to some configuration settings like firewall in between , incorrect host entries , 
incorrect registry settings etc 

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\ENL\Network.TCPIP  -> Gateway (string that points to your CPS's CMS server)

In most of the cases this registry key is tye culprit  If it's not there , you can create one .  Restart the CPS Network helper service and check 

Also if there are multiple NIC cards , just check on the client side and be sure that they are pointing to correct NIC card in th registry .

As far as the issue of push installation is concerned , You can try local install using CD if we are not able to push