cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup -- How to .......

Gabriel_Yeung
Level 2

We got the Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 and installed it to a server with

1 x 2 TB Harddisk -- FULL backup (Start at 20:00 Friday night, end at around Monday afternoon)

4 x 1 TB Harddisk -- Incremental backup (23:00 Monday to Thursday)

2 x 1 TB Harddisk -- FREE

All backup data size around 1.2TB and it took 80 hours to complete a FULL data backup, around 4 hours to complete an incremental backup.

Can I just make only one FULL data backup and save it to somewhere and only do the incremental backup on the rest of the month as this is not practical to do the FULL backup using 3 days for every week and if there is any problem, we can't do the restore. (We always delete the previous FULL database backup .bkf and it is insuffient space on the Full backup data disk...

Could we do the rest of the incremental backup to say (serveral  16GB USB ......)

Please advise me or propose a way for my case.

Many Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Hopefully you are not using USB drives?

USB is too slow, going to eSATA, Firewire, SAS, SCSI are all faster options, more than twice as fast as USB.

Gabriel_Yeung
Level 2
Thanks, teiva-boy

The external USB is my next move to backup to external device so it is not important at the moment.

BTW,  I registered to the http://mysupport.symantec.com but the it need to validate the account (Is this service need to be paid before use ???)

Thanks

Online Technical Support case management offers the ability to submit support cases for Symantec Enterprise or Small Business products online. This functionality streamlines the support experience and eliminates the need to place a phone call in order to quickly open, check case status, update, or even close your own support case. Your account currently does not support this option. Click the link below to validate your account for Technical Support with your Technical Contact Id or Support Number or Technical Case Id.