cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Couldn't find a specific forum for Ghost 2003 users--please help!

Peter_Baerwald
Not applicable
I run XP Pro SP2 fully updated, all drivers and software updated, no virus or malware issues (daily

scans/updates). Processor is Athlon 2400 on Asus A7N8X deluxe, 1 GB Mushkin Black High performance DDR-SDRAM.
The system has 3 identical 80GB Western Digital 7200rpm 8MB cache HD's----my C:, D: which is a secondary IDE data

drive where I keep the "My Documents" folder instead of using the Windows one on C:, and then G: which is an

external USB 1.1 connection.

When applicable,I make a ghost of C: to a folder inside D:\My Documents, and then overnite a backup utility sends

the entire My Documents folder to a folder on G: simply called "Backup"

I run Norton Ghost 2003 about once a week and have "always perform an integrity check" checked in "options".
I realized,after what occurred tonite , that I had never seen a verification of any sort that an integrity check

had been performed.

What happened tonight was that I created a ghost and got the usual "successfully completed" screen, BUT I noticed

that instead of transferring the usual 1.45 GB- 1.5GB of data per minute only about 760MB per minute was

transferring. I went back to Windows, opened Ghost--advanced--image integrity check, and generated the error.

Now for the teaser: I keep the 3 most recent ghosts just because of "extra insurance" --my C drive has 63GB free

space, D and G 32-33GB free. I therefore decided to attempt a restore of the image ( the restore ran at its usual

speed of approx 1.6GB per minute ), and that procedure worked perfectly despite the integrity check failure. I

then decided to try making the ghost again ( after deleting the image I restored from) and this time the ghost

transferred at the usual speed of at least 1.45 GB per minute.

At that point I realized that per my option settings I should have been seeing an image integrity verification

screen for not only this but all the other ghosts I have made previously, and therefore didn't even bother trying

an image integrity check on this ghost.

I opened Partition Magic and noticed to my surprise that my C: has a size of 76,316.6MB while my D: & G: are only

76308.7 each because they are each behind a 7.8 MB unallocated space. I had Partition Magic auto-resize my C: to

the exact size of D: & G:

I then made another ghost, got a successful completion message, and again the scheduled integrity check didn't

happen and the manual one failed with a Invalid Partition Offset-40207 message.

I then did a total uninstall/reinstall of Ghost, made sure " automatically verify " was checked, and made a new

Ghost.
Again, the scheduled integrity check never happened and the one I then tried manually failed as before.
Since I have other ghosts, I attempted a restore from this ghost; the procedure worked just fine despite the

failed integrity check messages.

My partions are all done by Partition Magic, I run Diskeeper on "automatic defrag" for all 3 drives, and I'm not

aware of any problems in the system whatsoever---everything seems to be running clean and fast.

I do notice that the little yellow "in use" light on the front of my removable bay enclosure for the D: drive is

frequently on along with the green power light (always on of course) even though the drive isn't being used for

anything. When I open Process Explorer while the yellow light is on, I see that a significant ( often up to 50%

of CPU usage ) is dedicated to "Hardware Interrupts". Could that be a clue to whats going on about image

integrity checks not being automatically run?

Please advise how to go about resolving the issues of enabled post ghost creation integrity checks not being

done, and the failure of user initiated integrity checks failing on a perfectly good ghost (proof being the ghost

restored perfectly as earlier stated).

Thank you in advance for your consideration
0 REPLIES 0