cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Deduplication Storage Folder on NAS

Terrence_Lemke
Level 3
Partner Accredited

What is required to create a deduplication fodler on another device that is not part of the local media server?  When trying to create the folder on a NAS I get the error:

"A deduplication Storage folder could not be created in the given directory"

I tried two differnt NAS, the one off-site and the other local.  I checked the logon account access I can attach SMB , and even found the article on making sure special characters were not included in the logon account password -- they are not.

The local path is \\storage\dedup where dedup is the folder I wish to backup to.  I also tried a subfolder such as \\storage\dedup\ddfolder.

Using 2010 R2, rev 4168, on 2008 R2 server.

Do we need an agent or option or something I am missing? 

Thank you.

Terry.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

This is NOT possible, and pretty clearly detailed in the requirements in the admin guide for the dedupe feature.

It needs to be direct attached storage, block level storage.  e.g. internal disk, FC, iSCSI, etc.  No SMB/CIFS/NFS/UNC paths.  It also needs to be NTFS formatted.

There is no way you can get the performance needed for the dedupe folder, via a network share.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6

This is NOT possible, and pretty clearly detailed in the requirements in the admin guide for the dedupe feature.

It needs to be direct attached storage, block level storage.  e.g. internal disk, FC, iSCSI, etc.  No SMB/CIFS/NFS/UNC paths.  It also needs to be NTFS formatted.

There is no way you can get the performance needed for the dedupe folder, via a network share.  

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

If you want to specifically use only NAS then please check out for Netbackup  you will be able to do dedup to NAS.

As with backupexec we cannot dedup to NAS by telvia in his above comment

Please mark this solved if this help you to clear your dout

Thank You

teiva-boy
Level 6

This is incorrect.  NBU can ONLY also use block level storage, with iSCSI not being compatible.  Leaving internal disk and FC being the only option.  You also have to have storage that can write at a minimum of 130MB/sec.  

PureDisk on the other hand can use NetApp NFS, and only NetApp NFS has been certified when talking network storage.  Otherwise, you need to follow the Storage Foundation HCL for 4.1.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for the information I will keep that in mind