cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Job Backup - 2012

Banfi
Level 5

Hi everyone!

I installed Backup Exec 2012 and I can´t create a new job backup.

Example:
1 - Backup Exec 2010
     - I created only 1 job with: Virtual Machine (Full) and Physical Machine (Differencial);
     - I created a selection list;

2 - Backup Exec 2012
     - Do I create many jobs? One for virtual and other for physical?

I thought taht the material guide(Backup Exec 2012) is so poor. I have had several problems with new version.

So somebody can I help me?

Thanks,

Bruno Banfi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MonkeyJuice777
Not applicable

When you select the storage device point it at the tape drive and not the tape library.

and select to append to media or overwrite if none available.

That will keep all the backups on one tape.

If I were you I would stop worring about shich tape it writes to and let BE manage the tapes for you. Just have 2 media sets Full and Diff then put all your tapes into Scratch Media, It will just grab a new tape when the last one is full. when you finally get through all your tapes it will select the oldest tape to overwrite.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

teiva-boy
Level 6

You create a single job per client you want to backup.  This is the new way Symantec has taken BE2012.

Some love it or hate it.  There is a huge 300+ post thread usually within the first couple pages of this forum that has a lot of BE2012 first impressions.

Sym-cr
Level 5

BE 2010 had selection lists which allowed you to choose multiple server in the same job. In your scenario, when it comes to BE 2010 the physical and virtual servers can be selected in the same selection list (although is not suggested).

BE 2012 is Server Centric/Resource Centric and doesn't have the option of selecting multiple servers in the same job. There will be seperate jobs for all physical servers and all virtual servers.

In BE 2012: No. of Servers = No. of jobs (Irrespective of physical or virtual servers)

However, as there is no concept of policy in BE 2012. It is easy to create the incremental or differential or duplicate backups in BE2012.

Please refer:

Backup Exec 2012 Upgrade Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180232

Information on the Job and Policy migration process when upgrading to Backup Exec 2012.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179063

Banfi
Level 5

Thanks for answers!

If I create 4 jobs for example, when the first job finished the media (tape) can´t burn the second job, because the minimum overwrite is 1 hour.

I'm goint to read the refers.

Thanks so much!

Bruno

Sym-cr
Level 5

Hi Bruno,

You can tweak the APP (Append Period) accordingly. For e.g. if you keep the APP to "Infinite- Allow Append", it will write the data to the media until the tape is full (this can include the backups from multiple servers being backed up one after another) and then the OPP which you have set to one hour will take effect and protect the data from being overwritten.

Banfi
Level 5

Thanks!

Look my environment. I don´t know how I will do the backup.

3 Files Servers (Physical);
2 Applications Servers (Physical);
VMWare - 70 servers (Virtual Machine);

In BE 2010 was so easier!

Sym-cr
Level 5

As per your Environment with BE 2012:

Total No. of backup Jobs = 3 (File Servers) + 2 (Application Servers) + 70 (Virtual Servers) = 75 Jobs

Please check this Tech Article:

Using server groups in Backup Exec 2012.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189098

Note: Don't confuse yourself about the grouping of servers to be same as backing up multiple servers in the same job, as it was in BE 2010.

Server groups can only be used to:

• Display only a list of servers added to that group.
  • Quickly monitor status of all the servers in the group at a glance.
  • Create individual (separate) backup jobs with same settings for multiple servers in a group.
    This can save a lot of time and effort required to create backups as compared to creating jobs for each server one-by-one.

Grouping of servers might not give you what you expected but will certainly help you in reducing your work load and performing neat administration of jobs.

Banfi
Level 5

I didn't understande the time the jobs will execute.

Example:

There are 7 jobs. (BE 2012)
Job1 = 8:00PM
Job2 = 8:00PM
Job3 = 8:00PM
Job4 = 8:00PM
Job5 = 8:00PM
Job6 = 8:00PM
Job7 = 8:00PM

Media Set => WEEK 1

Tape Library => 48 slots

Partition
1 Slot - 2 Slot (DIF MON - WEEK 1)
3 Slot - 4 Slot (DIF TUE - WEEK 1)
5 Slot - 6 Slot (DIF WED - WEEK 1)
7 Slot - 8 Slot (DIF THU - WEEK 1)
9 Slot - 10 Slot (DIF FRI - WEEK 1)
11 Slot - 16 Slot (FULL - WEEK 2)
17 Slot - 18 Slot (DIF MON - WEEK 2)
19 Slot - 20 Slot (DIF TUE - WEEK 2)
21 Slot - 22 Slot (DIF WED - WEEK 2)
23 Slot - 24 Slot (DIF THU - WEEK 2)
25 Slot - 26 Slot (DIF FRI - WEEK 2)
27 Slot - 32 Slot (FULL - WEEK 3)
33 Slot - 34 Slot (DIF MON - WEEK 3)
35 Slot - 36 Slot (DIF TUE - WEEK 3)
37 Slot - 38 Slot (DIF WED - WEEK 3)
39 Slot - 40 Slot (DIF THU - WEEK 3)
41 Slot - 42 Slot (DIF FRI - WEEK 3)
43 Slot - 48 Slot (FULL - WEEK 4)

I can't to configure my jobs.

Banfi
Level 5

Follow my jobs backup.

I'm still very confused.

Sym-cr
Level 5

The time taken to backup all the servers will be the same for both BE2010 and BE 2012, as the amount of data being backed up is the same.

You can just setup the job schedule for all the jobs with a difference of 1-2 hrs. The backup jobs will backup the servers one by one, and there will be one backup job running for one server at a time and the jobs for other servers will be waiting in the queued state (Ready; no idle devices found).

Job Schedule:

Job1 = 8:00PM
Job2 = 9:00PM or 10:00PM
Job3 = 10:00PM or 11:00PM
Job4 = 11:00PM or 12:00PM
Job5 = 12:00PM or 1:00PM
Job6 = 1:00PM or 2:00PM
Job7 = 2:00PM or 3:00PM

This will avoid the jobs overlapping and also won't let the jobs to miss.

Under BE2012, for all the backup jobs, schedule option "keep the job scheduled for 240 hours before it is rescheduled" should take care of your jobs and will not reschedule or miss the schedule for 10 days. Also make sure the Automatic cancellation of job is not selected (In the main job, under schedule, option "cancel the job if its still running #hours after its scheduled start time" is not checked.)

I hope this setting should take care of your backup jobs. 

Banfi
Level 5

Thanks for tip!

So I have one more doubt.

On BE 2010 I used media set:

WEEK1
Media Set:
1- WEEK 1 MON
2- WEEK 1 TUE
3- WEEK 1 WED
4- WEEK 1 THU
5- WEEK 1 FRI
6- WEEK 1 SAT

Now I'm not understanding how I can to use media set. In BE 2012 I created just two media set:

1- Backup Differential
2- Backup Full

But the last week I had a problem with backup full.
I have 3 partition:

1 - Slot1 - Slot16;
2 - Slot17 - Slot32;
3 - Slot33 - Slot48;

On the partition 1 had the following medias:

Slot1 - WEEK 1 FRI-DIF - media set = backup differential;
Slot2 - WEEK 1 FRI-DIF - media set = backup differential;
Slot3 - WEEK 2 SAT-FULL - media set = backup full;
Slot4 - WEEK 2 SAT-FULL - media set = backup full;
Slot5 - WEEK 2 SAT-FULL - media set = backup full;
Slot6 - WEEK 2 SAT-FULL - media set = backup full;
Slot7 - WEEK 2 SAT-FULL - media set = backup full;
Slot8 - WEEK 2 SAT-FULL - media set = backup full;

My jobs did not observe the media set, it took other media (WEEK 1 FRI-DIF).
How Could I configure my jobs for take the correct media set? Is it possible to configure for 48 medias?

Thanks so much!

MonkeyJuice777
Not applicable

When you select the storage device point it at the tape drive and not the tape library.

and select to append to media or overwrite if none available.

That will keep all the backups on one tape.

If I were you I would stop worring about shich tape it writes to and let BE manage the tapes for you. Just have 2 media sets Full and Diff then put all your tapes into Scratch Media, It will just grab a new tape when the last one is full. when you finally get through all your tapes it will select the oldest tape to overwrite.