cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create New Media Set

Trevor_B
Level 4
Hi All,

I have installed BE12 and i have setup a GFS policy.I have also setup Daily, Weekly, Monthly Media Sets. How do i allocate media to each of these ?, i can drag and drop media into each one, but i would like one big pool where i could put the media into one set and then its gets used from there for each daily,weekly.monthly jobs.
Does this make sense ?

Media Sets
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Media Set Called Company GFS Rotation - All Media In this Set at present
Daily Backup - None at present
Weekly Backup -None at present
Monthly Backup - None at present

Many Thanks

Trev

Message Edited by Trevor B on 02-27-2008 12:10 AM
5 REPLIES 5

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Trevor,in the job template there is an option to select the MEDIA SET that  you would like your media, used by that job , to be associated with.
You can ceate different media sets as per requirement and then within the job select the appropriate one.
This way the job automatically associates the media with media set
For eg. You could create different media sets daily,weekly monthly with the desired Overwrite Protection Period and Allow Append Period.You can then select the daily media set within the daily job template.
Also we do not recommend that you manually associate the media with the media sets

Trevor_B
Level 4
Thanks for the reply. What i have doen is created a media set called GFS Rotation and all media is in that set. I have made Daily,Weekly,Monthly sets also. I have selected the relevant set in the template. Do i assume it will automatically use the media from GFS Rotaion or do i need to tell it to use GFS rotation set somewhere ?

Message Edited by Trevor B on 02-27-2008 12:40 AM

Message Edited by Trevor B on 02-27-2008 12:41 AM

RahulM
Level 6
What is the purpose of the GFS media set? If it is to keep a track of all media used then you dont need it as it is atumatically recorded in the ALL MEDIA set that is a default set.
Move all the media in the SCRATCH MEDIA set and let the job assoacite the media to their respective media sets.
You need to understand the Overwrite and Append options and their implication on media management and rotation for it to work smoothly.
Please refer to the following articles as it is only you who can decide what settings to keep for data protection depending on your requirement,setup and resources.

An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"

The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for Backup Exec for Windows Servers

Trevor_B
Level 4
Thanks,

I will move all media to scratch and let it allocate from there

Thanks for your help as always!

RahulM
Level 6
Anytime Trevor,thats what we are here for :)