cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D2D2T Backups

Rodney_Egglesto
Level 2
I have just started working with version 10 and I am trying to acomplish a D2D2T system using my backup server. My Backup servers contains a Raid 5 with 700 GB of storage. I am running multiple jobs for each server to backup to disk folders (one folder for each server). Now this is the part where I am getting stuck. I want to be able to make a second copy and store it in a weekly archive on the Raid. Then once that is done, I want to move the backups to our tape drive for offsite storage. What I have been doing (version 8.6 and 9.1) was running two jobs that would copy the backup folder as one file to another backup folder for the weekly archive. The other job would do the same thing, but copy it to tape.

One of the problems that I have with this is that the backup folder file keep the same name b2dxxx. This throws off the catalog feature when I try to search for a file to restore. If I want to restore a file from that nights backup, it is no problem. But, if I need to restore a file from 2 days prior (or more), then I have to restore the backup file to a directory. Then rename it, and then catalog. Then the last step is to search for the file to restore.

I want to know if there is an easier way of doing this type of backup with version 10. I have not installed the version 10 software on a production server. I am currently using it on a testing server without a tape drive.
6 REPLIES 6

Rodney_Egglesto
Level 2
I have been working with the policy settings and I am able to apply the settings to one backup job to run the backup, move a copy to a weekly storage disk, and then move it to tape. But, since I am going to be backing up multiple server with each having its own job, then I cannot back them up to tape. This will be causing a bunch of loading and unloading of the autoloader drive. Because, I would be using append to tape for each of these jobs.

Is there a way to set in the policy to wait for all backup jobs to complete and then move the final backup to tape.

The reason that I am running multiple backup jobs, is that sometimes I would have a server get tied up for some reason and the backup job would hang on that server and not complete the rest of the backup jobs.

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
I gues, you have created a policy job which backs up the server data and the next job (duplicate) copies the same data to storage device and finaly 3rd job moves to tape. Is that corrrect?

1) Backup job
2) Duplicate backup to strorage device.
3 Duplicate backup to tape.

If this is case then each policy will run according to its rules and the only way would be to SCHEDULE the Final job in each policy in suc away that they run one after the other but then you will have to be 100% sure of how much time lat duplicate backup would take so that you can schedule the last job of another template.

I dont know,if i understood your problem correctly. Please reply back.

Rodney_Egglesto
Level 2
I have been working with the program a little more. I am able to run the disk backup and the duplicate backup after the job completes(another d2d folder). Now I am getting stuck at the last step, creating another duplicate backup job that will take all of the individual backup jobs that have finished (regular and duplicate) and move another copy to tape. This job keeps on failing because the media name does not match up from the last time this job was run. If I manually create a job, and go though each server and select its backup file. Then it will work. What I am trying to do is eliminate the final step of having to create a new job every morning to move the files to tape. I want to create one job and grab what was backup durning the night and then push it to tape.

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
You will have to manually create the duplicate job for each backup set.

If the job with same name runs everyday, then you can use the option "duplicate backup set following a job" in which case the backup sets that are included in the job will be duplicated. This way you can avaoid selecting the backup sets and just use the job name to duplicate to the tape.

I hope this clarfies.Message was edited by:
Zerene Sangma

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Hello

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress. However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Regards,
Gaurav

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply.