cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAT 72 unit stays Offline in BAckup Exec

Frank_van_Will
Level 2
We are using a Dell PowerEdge 2850 server with Windows 2003 server (Enterprise Edition) (all W2k3 hotfixes , We are NOT using W2k3 SP1).
We are running Backup Exec 9.1.4691 - Service Pack 1 and Hotfix 40.

The server has an internal tapedrive (Dell PowerVault 100T DAT 72 Tape Drive) for which we are using the Veritas drivers :

Driver Provider : Veritas Software Inc.
Driver Date: 7/24/2003
Driver Version : 5.0
Digital Signer : Not digitally signed

The tape unit is visible under computer maganement -> Tape Drives -> SEAGATE DAT DAT72-052 SCSI Sequential device

So everthing looks fine, but in Backup exec the tape unit is Offline and rightclicking on (both) the drives most of the options are greyed out
The only options I have are Remove , Rename , Delete, Refresh and Properties ( alle properties are visible !)
Also removing and re-adding the tape unit has no effect...
2 REPLIES 2

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

- Try stopping the Removable Storage Service.

- Please refer to the following Tech Note:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0

- Try to deactivate the device, delete it (By rightclicking on the device) and then restart the Backup Exec Services and then reconfigure the device by running the device configuration Wizard.

- Hope it helps!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Frank_van_Will
Level 2
I found out what caused the troubles.
This server is a MOM Management server and uses a connector to our Tivoli (CA) environment for ticketing, a so called TNG connector.
This connector uses CA processes which are also used by Arcserve and BrightStor....(Need I say more?)
It took some time time to pinpoint the cause , so be warned when using CA products !