cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLT Autoloader 818 and BackupExec 8.0 Rev 3311

shemsher_ali
Level 3
We had a HP DLT Autoloader 818 and using backup exec 8.0 to backup our servers. Both were working fine. Recently the DLT autoloader was not working (Machanical issue) and HP replaced the same DLT Autoloader 818 as a replacement. We connected the DLT autoloder 818 our NT 4.0 existing server (which server were previously using with BackupExec 8.0).

Now the HP Tapes and Tools can see the DLT Autoloader, but the BackupExec 8.0 cannot see or communicate with the DLT Backup Device. On the BackupExec 8.0 on device tab the HP1 is showing OFFLINE. Talked with HP and they are is pointing as it is the BackupExec driver issue and we need to reload the driver.

Will appreciate, if it is BackupExec driver issue ? How can I get the driver for BackupExec 8.0 and how to install the driver in the windows NT 40 Server.

Thanks,
10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Firstly, for future reference, remove the device to be physically removed from BackupExec BEFORE physically removing it. Try to remove it now, but it probably won't work.

Next, grab the latest build of v8.5 (a free upgrade) and install that over the top of your v8.0 code. Then re-run th hardware wizard to pickup the new library

shemsher_ali
Level 3
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I still have the old DLT Autoloader 818 with me and if I connect the loader(old one) with my NT 40 Server, the BackupExec 8.0 can communicate with it.

But if I connect the new DLT Autoloader 818 (New one and same model) with the NT 40 Server, the BackupExec 8.0 cannot communicate with it.

Still I can connect my old DLT Autoloader 818 with my NT40 Server. I have also BackupExec 8.0 CD with me. Can you advice me how to remove the Device from BackupExec 8.0 and how can I run the wizard and to select what in the hardware wizard.

Thanks,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
With the loader connected, go to the Devices tab, right click\delete

Then shut down the server remove the old loader and connect the new one.

Start BEWS and run the hardware wizard

And again, I would recommmend upgrading to the latest v8.5 build.

shemsher_ali
Level 3
Hi Ken,

Thanks, what is stand for BEWS (I understand BE stand for BackupExec, but did not understand for WS). Will appreciate your reply.

Thanks,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
BEWS BackupExec for Windows Servers
BENW BackupExec for Netware

shemsher_ali
Level 3
Hi Ken,
Thanks, once again how can I lunch the Hardware wizard. Can you provide me more details.
Thanks,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Tools\Options\DiscoverHardware

shemsher_ali
Level 3
Hi Ken,
I completed the hardware wizard, but HP1 still showing OFFLINE. Any suggestion.
Thanks,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you shut down all BackupExec services, does NTBackup see and access the loader

shemsher_ali
Level 3
Hi Ken,
Thanks for your kind help and your time. I able to resolved the issue. It was the problem with the DLT Autoloader 818 itself. After setting the loader to factory default, its start working fine.
Thanks once again.