cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily SQL Restore

tyj
Level 3
I just want to make sure this is possible with BE 12.5.  We are backing up a SQL 2005 database nightly and want to restore it to another server after the backup finishes.  I am looking at the restore options and it seems to want to use specific date for a restore job selection.  Is there are a way to have the restore job always restore the most recent backup ( the one that will be completed a few hours before?)

Also what kinds of commands can be run in the pre and post command options?  Are they just command line or can they be SQL, etc....?
2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6
Have you tried using a policy, rather than looking at the jobs?  

As for pre-post commands, the skies the limit...  It can do anything you can script out.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I am looking at the restore options and it seems to want to use specific date for a restore job selection

You are correct.  It cannot be done, because the way it is written, BackupExec has to have the catalog record for the media to restore from

Since v8.0, there have been repeated requests to be able tospecify "restore file xxxxxxx from the latest media in media set   zzzzzz"  So far it hasn't happened

You can add this as  an enhancement at the Ideas area of the forum (top menu bar, far right)  If you get enough thumbs up, it may be included in a future release

(But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it)

Also what kinds of commands can be run in the pre and post command options?  Are they just command line or can they be SQL, etc....?

You can enter the path\name of a CMD or BAT file.  As long as the BackupExec service account has rights to execute them, the Pre/Post command should run OK