cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Encyption

Richard_Berndt
Level 3
Is there any method better than just password protecting your tapes for protection? I deal with financial data/personal information and send backup tapes offsite. I need to find the strongest way to protect the data on the tapes. Is the password protection really strong enough? If someone had stolen the tapes would they be able to use other methods of retrieving the data?
6 REPLIES 6

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
To my knowledge there isn't currently an out of the box way to encrypt the backed up data, though there may be a third party app which could do it. However from what I remember of reading some info about the latest beta I believe v11 is due to have encryption functionality built in, though I don't know how long it will be before that is released (someone told me late this year, but I don't know if that is accurate).

Keith

Richard_Berndt
Level 3
I read on the NetBackup product page that there is an encryption modules, but that is not for BE. Do you know where you had read about this feature? I do not need to necessarily impliment this feature immediately but I have to show due diligence that it will be something that I am able to do.

Richard_Berndt
Level 3
I just got off the phone with someone at Symantec/Veritas Sales and they stated they have not received official word what will be included in the next version. However they said it is almost certain that encryption will be included with the next release. They did not know if it would be as an option or built into the application.

Network_Admi12
Level 3
I'm sure it will be an add-on option that they'll charge us for.

Stumpr2
Level 6
another interesting thread on encryption that I started:
http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4443396촄

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Aha, yeah that was where I read about it! Cheers Bob.