cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Inconsistentcy Error during Duplicate Job

ray_barth
Level 2
The subject may sound like it could be a few problems, but it is just one error that I'm receiving more and more.

Specs,
Win2k Server SP3
BE 9.0 Rev 4454
Exabyte M2 Library
Snap! Server

With all that out of the way now. Our job scheme is backup to disk (NAS device), then we run a "duplicate" job of the original. All jobs are overwrites (we've already discovered the issues with appends). The exact error from the duplicate job is as follows.

Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a00084ca HEX
Final error description: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

In the case of this job (which happened to be a differential) the backup-to-disk job completed without any errors, however the tape job did fail due to the above error. We have had times where the B2D job will complete with errors, and then the duplicate will fail where the inconsistency was found in the originating job.

My question is this. What does the error mean? And I've read the vague Veritas KB article. That's not good enough.

Also, does ver. 9.1 or 10 address this issue? If so, I'll upgrade.
5 REPLIES 5

ray_barth
Level 2
Anyone?

ray_barth
Level 2
A little more info. After further review, I received the following alert prior to failure of the duplicate job.

Information - The security mode of the library has been changed.
The library has either been put into secure mode, or the library has exited the secure mode.
This is for information purposes only. No action is required.
Robotic Library for Device

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
The TapeAlert "Library security has been compromised" is only an informational alert and does not cause the backup job to fail. Tape Alerts are generated by the tape drive and passed to Backup Exec to display to the user.
The message may occur if the drive is placed in a secure mode.
The library security error appears because the library is in secure mode.
In the configuration of autoloaders, it is possible to place the drive in secure mode. This means that the drive can be protected from use, for example so that only certain users are able to access it. This can cause issues when the Backup Exec Administrator is not a specified user.
To resolve this issue, the hardware manufacturer can be contacted for information on how to remove the secure mode or how to configure it correctly. Refer to the hardware documentation to remove the secure mode on the tape library.

Regarding the issues with duplicate jobs, suggest you to create new Backup-to-disk folder and target the jobs to this folder.
Apply the latest device drivers from the following link:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

I would also recommend you to upgrade to BE v9.1, this is free option and addresses issues and enhancements from earlier builds of Backup Exec.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered"and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.