cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedup / backup slows to a crawl

Thunderb1rd
Level 3

Hello,

I have setup dedup with Backup Exec 2010 (on 2008 R2). I am trying to get the initial backup to backup about 2 TB of data (on 2003). It gets about 1.5 - 1.8 TB and slows to a crawl. It doesn't stop, doesn't error, just slows down to about 80 MB / min. The first 1.5 TB run about 600 GB / Min.

Both server are on the same local VLAN with 1 GB connections.

I can succusfully backup other servers around 50-100 GB without issue. All the latest service packs and live updates are installed.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

What are the specs on the media server, specifically RAM.

Have you tried to use client-side dedupe as well as try media server dedupe, to rule out the bottleneck?

If this is a file server, this seems like normal behavior from a througput standpoint.  600-1200/MB-min is about the norm for a "file server."  Client-side dedupe can help this somewhat, thought note the monitor doesn't reflect true real-time stats, you need to read the job log to interpret dedupability and throughput.  (In other words, unless causing an issue, stop wasting cycles watching the numbers, it'll only cause you more stress)

Thunderb1rd
Level 3

Thank you for the response.

My media server has 8 GB of memory, Intel Xeon 2 GHZ quad core processor, plenty of disk space.

I currently have it set for client side de-dup. I have not tried server side yet, I will try that next.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Client should perform better after the 1st full backup.  Media server dedupe would be the same as you have had pre-dedupe.