cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Offline after Storage Reboot

abernut
Level 3

I have an iomega drive connected to my network via a CAT5 Cable.

It has an IP assigned to it and is a member of my domain.

I had the device in my office to configure it for use wiht my Backup Exec 2012 Storage and Jobs.

After everthing was configured and test runs were completed I powered down the device to move it to another building.

I powered on the device but Backup Exec is showing State Offline.  I am able to ping it and browse to the folders via windows.

If I go to Storage and uncheck the Offline box, it goes online but goes back offline after a few minutes.

Is there a correct way to bring a shared disk storage back online.

Thank you,

Mike

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Powering down the storage when BE is running could be the reason for this. Stopping BE services/media server before doing any activity which doen't include BE is the best practise.

Please provide details about how you configured disk storage on the share.

abernut
Level 3

I did not stop the BE Services first.

I just rebooted the BE server and now all storage devices are online.

Mike

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Glad to know that... 

abernut
Level 3

They all went to Offline after a few minutes

abernut
Level 3

When I try to create a new disk storage to that device I get a time/date mismatch error

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If that Iomega is a StorCenter, they're capable of iSCSI. You don't mention the OS of the media server, but if it is WIndows Server 2008 R2, it has a built-in iSCSI initiator...works like a charm. I've used this very successfully to get around a number of issues with the NAS running as a normal NAS with a share.

Just invoke iSCSI on the NAS, configure iSCSI on the server, and carve out LUNs on the NAS as iSCSI LUNs. Once done, all you do is point the server's iSCSI initiator to the IP address of the NAS, and the drives then pull through. Connect to them, and you've essentially got local drives that you can span and create B2Ds on.

Move the NAS elsewhere, and as long as the IP address doesn't change, you can rescan in Windows and they will be seen elsewhere.

Read my article below on iSCSI and BE:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-iscsi-backup-your-environment-nas-backup-exec

THanks!