cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy Backup Exec on 2 Sites (VPN connected, local NAS on both sites)

nieyong
Level 2

How to deploy Backup Exec on the following scenario?

Situation:

2 sites in City A and City B connected by VPN (2Mb only). . I have only one Backup Exec server license.

In Site A, there is a Backup Exec Server with a Tape Library and a NAS.

In Site B, there is a NAS. No Backup Exec Server.  The size of files to backup is about 60GB.

Object:

Backup Files in Site B to its local NAS (daily, weekly and monthly).

Backup Files in Site B to Tape Lib in Site A monthly.

Less traffic on the VPN, the better.

What is the best solution? Any idea? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you use the media server at Site A to backup Site B to the SiteB NAS, the data will flow across the VPN twice, since it has to pass through the media server.  No way around this.  In addition, the RAWS tends to be problematic across VPNs

The best solution would be to place a 2nd media server at SiteB.  You can manage both from your desk using Remote Adminsitrator

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you use the media server at Site A to backup Site B to the SiteB NAS, the data will flow across the VPN twice, since it has to pass through the media server.  No way around this.  In addition, the RAWS tends to be problematic across VPNs

The best solution would be to place a 2nd media server at SiteB.  You can manage both from your desk using Remote Adminsitrator

nieyong
Level 2

Thank you Ken.

Does that mean I have to purchase a license for the 2nd media server? I always have hard time to understand the license system of Backup Exec. :(

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Yes, you would need a second base license for the second media server

And, Yes, Backup Exec's Licensing scheme is rather convoluted wink