cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining Back up Size

RK_Prabhu
Level 2

Hi,

I am running Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 v2213 and i would like to know, how to determin the back up size before i run back up and is there an way to find out or to get and report on the files which will be backed up and the list of files with their size.

Regards,

Prabhu

7 REPLIES 7

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

I can't think of any such option available... 

However, there's a test run job which checks media capacity available for the selected job. But, that would still not give you the size (in MB's/GB's/TB's) of the files/data selected for being backed up.

For more information on Test Run jobs check --> http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23006

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Create a Test Run and enable pre-scan to determine the amout of data to be backuped.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23449

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Nope, you have to do the Test Run option in the job. This will estimate. Otherwise simply check the sizes of the folders & data you're backing up...long-winded, but another option.

THnaks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Not sure this will suffice your requirement or not.

You can see the estmated size of the backup and time remaining to complete by Enabling display progress indicators from tools--> Options. BE would be taking more time for the scanning operation. 

and report on the files which will be backed up and the list of files with their size.

This is not available as far as i know. (impractical when a lot of files to be backed up)

RK_Prabhu
Level 2

Hi Again,

Have two problems,

Credentials Check

Device       : \\10.6.2.30, 10.6.2.30\MICROSOFT##SSEE

Check status : Error: e0009b84, The job failed with the following error: 

The logon account that was provided does not have the appropriate privileges to back up the SQL database . Either assign the appropriate privileges to this logon account, or use another logon account.

Device       : \\10.6.2.30, \\10.6.2.30\System?State

Check status : Error: e0008488, The job failed with the following error: 

Access is denied.

Device       : \\10.6.2.24, \\10.6.2.24\[ROOT]Check status : Error: e0008488, The job failed with the following error: 

Access is denied.

Above error for my linux server, but connected using root credentials and i can browse the folders just fine in "edit selection list"

Media Capacity Check

Device                   : TAPEDRIVE

Online append capacity   : 0.000 MB

Online overwrite capacity: 4,577,634 MB

Total append capacity    : 0.000 MB

Total overwrite capacity : 5,340,573 MB

Capacity check status    : Success

Miscellaneous            :

With the above, which one is the backup size?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Prabhu

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Online overwrite capacity = written to disk/tape.

Total Overwrite capacity = amount of uncompressed data

This is from what I remember...

RK_Prabhu
Level 2

So where will i get to know the total back up size using the test run?

Thanks!