cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential Backups

dbaish
Level 4
Can I restore a differential backup without having the full backup?  Obviously I wouldn't have all of the data, but can it be done?  The differential backups don't have any sort of a marker on it that links to the full backup that would prevent it from restoring without the full, does it?
3 REPLIES 3

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Yes, but only the individual files that are on that backup, that is, the ones that changed since they were last backed up on a full or previous differential.

pmbrentjr
Level 2

No,

a Differential back up, backsup only those files that have been changed since the last full back up. The archiving bit is not cleared, which means each time you do a Differential back up ( from the last full back up ) is larger then the previosu one. You need the Last FULL back up and the LAST differential back up to restore. (You always need LAST full back up + (Differential/Incremental) back up to restore a system.)

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Sorry, I meant to type incremental (although very uncommon when combined with differentials), not differential, which does reset the A flag. I do understand the difference.

The answser to your question was still yes, you can provided it is on that tape.