cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential from Full Backup or Incremental Backup

PatrickInTheTMZ
Level 2
I performed a full backup (using modified time) the other night and wanted to backup the changes since the full so i ran two incrementals (using modified time). I want to run a differntial (using modified time) now but was wondering how the differential will work. Will it run a differential from the full backup or the last incremental. I want it to run from the last full and delete the incrementals. I want to do differentials instead so that i dont have all the incrementals to restore since my data changes are small and my time between full backups is one week.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If it was using the Archive Bit I would guarantee that it would work from the last incr, since that is the last job that would modify the bit

I'm almost certain that Modified time would act the same, but haven't tested this

Either way, since today is Monday (and assuming your FULL runs over the weekend), make the change today, and from tonight on, all  your jobs will be DIFFS, based on the last FULL

PatrickInTheTMZ
Level 2
The full backup isnt from over the weekend, and the incrementals have been run since. If i delete the incrementals and then run the differential will it run from the last full?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As I said, I don't use Modified Time, so I really don't have any idea

Ben from Symantec is answering posts today, maybe he can give you a definitive answer