cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DirectAssist blog

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
I used DirectAssist several months ago.  It took over 6 weeks to get a non answer.  I'm trying it again and I'll post my experience here.
10 REPLIES 10

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Last time I was on they didn't have 11d available in the pop up list.  I pointed this out.

Apparently 11d is still too "new" as it still isn't an option. 

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
OK I've created the case.  I'm limited to 1000 characters which isn't enough.  Yeah, If I were to post
"The software doesn't work so fix it!" it would be enough. 

I should be given the ability to attach a file at least.  Maybe later.

I received no warning about a hardware scan afterwards.  It tried to install a program.  That failed but wouldn't have been of any help anyways as I'm using the browser from my desktop, not the server.

As a good practice we don't browse from servers.  IE flaws and the resultant security problems aren't as problematic if you don't use IE.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
*&^*&^%&^%!!!!

Stupid portal ate my post when the program install failed!  Now I have to try again.  Fortunately I made a copy before I submitted.

This portal is poorly designed and not maintained.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
On the first page it states:
Based on customer feedback, we are reducing the number of diagnostics gathered at case submission time in order to improve performance. Your assigned Support engineer will ask you for those diagnostics they need for your specific issue.

Then why does it then attempt to load diagnostics?

I tried Cancel to the diagnostics install.  Just the thing to do if you want to lose everything you entered.

When the install fails (IE blocks it) the resulting page states you can click on submit case to continue.  Doing so takes you back to the original entry page.

The original text has a bunch of added characters, now putting it well over 1000 characters.  Fixing it doesn't matter.  Trying to continue is just continuing in a loop. 

Enter text, submit, diags that fail, submit, reenter text, submit, diags that fail, you get it.

I'm going to try this from the server. 

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
I was finally able to submit the case from the server.  I was able to attach a copy of the log file of the backup job that failed.

This case was submitted as critical and we do have support (no included with case).

I'll post when I get a response.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Sounds like you're having fun!
I've used DirectAssist once before... I log support cases by phone now.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Summarized review of the submittal portal design:

BackupExec is the default application.  I didn't try other apps as we only use BE and no other Symantec applications.
The version list for BE doesn't include 11d.  Literature from Symantec raves how 11d is the best thing since the invention of ice cream.  Then add it to the list.

Portal doesn't completely tell what it is going to do and worse yet, states that diagnostics won't be run yet diagnostics are required to submit a case.  You shouldn't have to run diagnostics to submit a case.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Response was quick.  23 minutes from my initial submittal until I got my first non canned response.
I'm uploading 2 files.  One, the job log, I previously attached with my initial submittal.  So either the portal "lost" it, the tech didn't bother to look at it, or the response I received was a canned response that I didn't recognize.

I suspect the log file was "lost" in the inital submittal.  I don't see an attachment link for it nor the diagnostics (which were required to submit the case).

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
5 1/2 hours later I got a response (new bug in 7170, roll remote back to 6235).

Final summary - the response on this case was a big improvement over my last experience.  As for the portal - it needs some attention, specially the testing portion.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
They changed the portal.  It now shows:

Please review the information at this link for additional details
https://da.veritas.com/client/web/main/daAlert.html#Top

Basically they're shutting down the only electronic case submission method I'm aware of.  So if you need help you can post in this forum or sit on hold for a few hours.  We all have that extra time, don't we?