cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery disaster!

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I'm currently performing a Disaster Recovery test (NOT using the IDR option)

On DR tests using BE10d, you just follow the instructions in the Administrator's Guide and it all works. If only that were the case with BE11d.

Install Windows - no problem
Install BE in a different location - no problem, though it appears you have to also install SQL Express to a different location too
Inventory and Catalog media - no problem
Restore media server - no problem

Now, because my media server is also a DC, I need to change the BE services to run as the LocalSystem account - no problem
Restart in Directory Services Restore Mode - problems start...

The SQL Express install doesn't have the .mdf or .ldf files for the master, model or msdbdata databases, so it won't start up. However the $4IDR files are there, so if I rename them appropriately the SQL Express will start up.

Then if you restart BE tries to do its automated databse recovery. However this fails as it says it can't attach the BEDB database. If you look in the dbrecover.log file, it renames the backup files appropriately, but then fails to attach the database with an 0x80040e14 error - DBU_ERROR_DATABASE_ATTACH_FAILED

Using BEUtility to try and restore the database from backup, or to drop the database and restore from base give the same results.

Any ideas? Should I have to manually rename the $4IDR files for SQL Express? Or should BE11d do this for me?

Message Edited by Hywel Mallett on 09-04-2007 01:00 PM
0 REPLIES 0