Netbackup 9.1.0.1 Redhat Linux 7 -- in place OS upgrade

bc1410
Level 5

Hello

----------------------------

current environment:

RedHat linux 7 Netbackup 9.1.0.1 Master/Media physical server

--------------------------

Is it possible to perform an in place upgrade on a RedHat Linux environment for a netbackup 9.1.0.1 master server?  We are in the process of going from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8.  

Not sure if this is possible or not? Please advise?

Or do we need to perform a netbackup disaster recovery after upgrading the environment to redhat linux 8

Not seeing to much documentation out there for in place linux upgrade.  

Thanks

BC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kiyan
Level 4

I believe you can follow the same guide, (take backup of catalog certs, etc).as this is a pure OS level not Netbackup .the only thing I found in compatibility check is https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100045645, which needs to be installed on redhat OS 8 and above.
after the upgrade, you can run the netbackup 9.1 ISO just to confirm the perquisites checks are all fine.
I believe everything should work smooth for you but you can always open a ticket with Netbackup support just in case you faced an issue and you are not able to troubleshoot it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

I did witness dozen in place upgrades from RHEL 7.x to 8.x while NBU was intact. So I trust this is rather question directed your UNIX team how they are going to do it. In my env it was done many times and went smoothly, then we started upgrading NBU from 9.1.0.1 to 10.1.1 ;) but it was months back. Here is a huge segregation of roles, ie I am part of backup team, there is unix team and so on. With proper planning you will achieve what you want.

Thank you quebek for your reply.

Yes we have a few redhat linux guys which will most likely perform the upgrade.  

We will eventually want to upgrade the Netbackup software to 10.x but after a RHEL upgrade and confirmation of the netbackup environment running successful backups and restores etc..

Do you know of any Veritas Netbackup documents that reference a linux in place OS upgrade.  I seem to only find docs pertaining to windows in place upgrades.  Would like to know if there is anything special we need to do beside running a full level catalog and stopping services etc..   

Thanks again

BC

kiyan
Level 4

I believe you can follow the same guide, (take backup of catalog certs, etc).as this is a pure OS level not Netbackup .the only thing I found in compatibility check is https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100045645, which needs to be installed on redhat OS 8 and above.
after the upgrade, you can run the netbackup 9.1 ISO just to confirm the perquisites checks are all fine.
I believe everything should work smooth for you but you can always open a ticket with Netbackup support just in case you faced an issue and you are not able to troubleshoot it.

bc1410
Level 5

Thanks for the reply kiyan..  appreciate it.