cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I want to Upgrade from 2010 to 2010 R3?

BowlingSS
Level 4

My BE 2010 is working great except for showing the mailboxes on Exchange when trying to restore. Why would I want to upgrade to 2010 R3?

Bill

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

If you want to take advantage of the below then do upgrade to R3.

Below are some of the new feature capabilities and improvements 

• Deduplication performance and stability imrpovements
  • Improved Deduplication rates for VMware backups
  • Improved pre-installation environment checks to prevent install and backup failures
  • Virtual Vault support for the Exchange Mailbox Archiving Option, enabling easy email recovery directly from Microsoft Outlook
  • Nirvanix (OST) cloud solution now available without requiring the Deduplication license/install
  • Improved knowledge base article lookup from error links in job logs

Refer to the blog https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/get-new-backup-exec-version-ga-general-availability

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just bear in mind that going forwards some updates may only be supplied for the R3 version, hence if in the future you do run into a problem you may need to be on R3 to get a solution.

Other than that if all seems to be working for you then I guess you can apply the old adage of "Don't fix what isn't broken"

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well not a real need to upgrade if  everything working fine. As far as the issue with mailboxes not showing upo in the restore window it is genrally caused because of permission issue on exchange which can be resolved . IF you want you can upgrade just if you want to be on the latest version of BE and use the new features like

• Exchange Virtual Vault for the Archive Option
  •  

teiva-boy
    Level 6

I agree with Colin's statement, "Don't fix what isn't broken."

However the dilemma you will have is that R2 and R3 bring important feature updates that will not be available via a liveupdate package.  Of course bug fixes will be addressed with what you currently run.  But some of the features that are improved or added to BE2010 can almost be construed as a hotfix to fix limitations!  e.g. vmware 4.1 support, dedupe fixes, vmware dedupe improvements, etc.  Those were highlights of changes in R2 and R3, that would never be applied to R1.

Audiolomb
    Level 2

I upgraded a week ago to R3 and so far I have no issues whatsoever. Everything is running smoothly and fine.

I do have issues with the Nirvanix OST integration but I don't think it's related to R3. At least I hope not!