cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AOFO work via Remote Agent?

jdkrobinson
Level 2
Hi

I have a backup server running 11d for Windows Servers. I have two laptops that I backup remotely during the day. Everything backs up fine except for the users' PST files. This is because they have Outlook open at the time.

Do I just need to install the AOFO agent on my backup server to overcome this, or do the laptops themselves need some kind of AOFO agent? Or am I just stuck?

Please advise.
4 REPLIES 4

PHOENIX_2
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

First of all i should tell you that the AOFO works with Remote Agent. And for backing up open files you have to install AOFO with Remote Agent.
You should install the AOFO and start the backup, it will take PST files

jdkrobinson
Level 2
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I need to make sure I'm absolutely sure of what you're telling me. I should make you aware that I've taken over this system from another service provider, so I'm have not installed Backup Exec with AOFO or Remote Agent before.

Current Situation
Here is what I have:
Server - Backup Exec for Windows Server is installed
Laptop 1 - Remote agent is installed
Laptop 2 - Remote agent is installed

Backup runs fine, except when it trys to remotely backup PST files. They fail because they are open on the laptop.

Desired Situation
I want to confirm that the following will be enough to backup the PST files on the laptops:
Server - Backup Exec for Windows Server is installed. AOFO is also installed here, and only here.
Laptop 1 - Remote agent is installed, i.e. no change from above.
Laptop 2 - Remote agent is installed, i.e. no change from above.

Hopefully PST files on the laptops will now backup properly.

Or do I actually have to install, reinstall, or reconfigure something on the laptops?

Thanks for your help.

PHOENIX_2
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

According to you.

Server - Backup Exec for Windows Server is installed. AOFO is also installed here, and only here.
This is fine..

Now on Laptops you should install AOFO also means..

Laptop 1 - Remote agent + AOFO 
Laptop 2 - Remote agent + AOFO

So you have to run the remote agent installation and you have to select AOFO option to be installed on remote machines. Then only you be able to backup PST files.
Note: AOFO installation requires reboot after install.

This will be the proper solution for you.

jdkrobinson
Level 2
Great! Thanks Phoenix.

This means I only have to purchase an AOFO license for the server. This is good news as it would be a big price to pay if I had to get a license for each of the laptops as well.

Thanks again.