cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does BE 9.1 support compression on Iomega rev35 usb?

carl_thomas
Level 3
I have seen conflicting answers on this topic.
Iomega claims the Rev35 usb is compatible with BE 9.1 and BE claims it has tested its software with the Rev, but neither states what level of compression is supported when using the two together.

I have BE 9.1 running on a Win 2003 server and backing up to the REV35 usb. It runs fine, but I see no compression. I sent a 43 gb job last night, it went to 35gb and asked for a new rev disk.

I enabled compression within BE 9.1 when creating the job.

Any ideas from anyone on how to gain some compression ? I have read post giving vague answers to this question, but no one seems to truly answer this question.

Any help would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you specify Software or Hardware compression?

Try software only and see what happens

Prajuctaa_Mulay
Level 4
Hi Carl,

Data compression with Iomega Rev drives is possible with Veritas Backup Exec as mentioned in the technote http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/272706.htm. However compressed capacity achieved with Backup Exec will vary because compression is data, hardware, and software dependent. This is due to the varied types of data that are found in most environments. Each data type has it's own compression ratio and therefore no standard is achieved for the total compression ratio that results. For example; database data, executables and graphics files generally compress the least and regular text and data files will compress the most.

Please do revert in case of further questions. Have a nice weekend!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sean_Connolly_2
Not applicable
Which compression type do Veritas recommend for iomega Rev Drives? Software or hardware (hardware doesn't appear to do anything)?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

With reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Svend_Petersen
Level 3
All the specifications I read on the REV35 say that compression is a software only thing. There is no hardware compression on the device.

Another point to note, the file system appears to be a proprietory type similar to FAT32, in that it only supports files up to 2GB. As a consequence you will see Veritas create many backup files on the disk as it performs large backups. The default file size set by Veritas is 1GB, you should set this to something larger than 2GB so that you get less media entries.

I haven't seen a specific veritas driver for the REV35. A driver may fix the 2GB file size if it were to create a different (NTFS like) file system. Also I cannot get Veritas to eject the media and assume that this would require a specific driver too.

In all the REV35 is a nice device for what it is (fast too) but I'm not inclined to recommend it as a device for use with a server grade backup system.

Svend.