cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does IDR format ALL volumes or just system?

Dir
Not applicable
I have a C: drive for my system files, and D: and E: for my data.  My last full backup includes all of C: and a few random files on E:

C: is a local SATA drive directly on the motherboard.
D: is a set of drives as RAID hanging off a raid controller, and
E: is a single drive on this raid controller.

I need to invoke IDR, but it only sees the C: drive and tells me I have to load additional drivers for the raid controller card and other hardware it found.  At that point I stopped things, and noticed that the running dialog at the time was that it was going to format my drives.

My drives?

Is it going to format my D: and E: drive?  I cannot find an answer in these forums.  It appears that the only way I can proceed with IDR is to supply it with the raid controller drivers so that it can see it properly.  I assume it wants to be able to see all the drives that were visible at the time I created the IDR files. 

My big concern right now is whether IDR is going to format >all< my drives if it gets a chance, or just the system drive.  This seems like a simple question but I can't find the answer.  I can't imagine it would, yet the dialog clearly showed that it didn't want to continue until it could access all my drives, even though it doesn't need to (if it was only going to use the C: drive).

One last question:  I actually have another C: drive that was a mirror of the first, but is about 4 months old.  It boots perfectly fine and my system is totally up and running - except that my system is 5 months out of date and doesn't have all the same applications and data that my IDR backup has on it.

Could I simply do a complete restore my IDR backup, ie. restore my entire C: drive?  Would this work, considering so many files are in use. 

Message Edited by Dir on 06-28-200707:10 AM

Message Edited by Dir on 06-28-200707:13 AM

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I believe that IDR will indeed format all the drives.  After all it is a Disaster recovery product.  That is, it is meant to recover your system starting from scratch

That's one of the things that I don't like about IDR.  Everything happens behind a wizard.  Also, it doesn't do anything that you wouldn't do in a manual recovery, and it saves you no time at all.