cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domian Controller backup fails/freezes while trying to backup System?State

Glenn_Morris
Level 3

Hi there

Please can anyone help me with a solution?

The details are:-

My Domain Controller uses Windows server 2008 R2, my backup server uses Windows server 2003 and Backup Exec 2010, with the 2010 remote agent being installed on the Domain Controller.

I have tried to run the backup without including the system state and it all runs fine. With the system state included, the task usually freezes while trying to backup the System Files or the job fails with the message:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fedf - A failure occurred reading an object.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65247

Backup- \\DCSERVER2K8\System?State
V-79-57344-65247 - A failure occurred reading an object.

After doing some research, I have tried to run the job without using AOFO and it still failed, rebooted both servers many times as it is sometimes the only way to fully stop the task from running. I have also looked into the changing of the port numbers used but the forum solution that I found showed different settings to what I could see.

The problem I have is that my backups fail every night and during any test ones that I create during the day. They started to fail for no apparent reason, ie the domain controller hasn't been updated/upgraded or played with. This has been happening for a couple of weeks now and I am stuck for a solution.

Can anyone advise me please?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

I'd suggest you update your media server first with any available patches, and if you're running anything less that BE 2010 R3, consider upgrading to this as it fixes a number of issues in previous versions.

Once done, uninstall the RAWS agent on the DC in question, and do a push-install of the RAWS agent to it. Create a small job backing up just the System State and see how this goes before running the full job again.

Thanks!

Glenn_Morris
Level 3

Hi there

Thanks for the reply and advice CraigV. I have done all the updates and upgraded to BE 2010 R3 SP1. However, the task I created that backed up just the System State still failed with the error:-

V-79-57344-65247 - A failure occurred reading an object.
and

WARNING: "\System?State\System Files\System Files" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

Please could someone advise me on the next step to take?

Thanks again, regards.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...do you get any errors if you back up the System State to disk using BE?

DO you get any errors if you use the Windows Backup utility to backup that server's System State?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Turn on AOFO.

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

On the domain controller, open a command prompt as administrator, then type "VssAdmin List Providers" and see if that returns you a list. If that command hangs, then there is a VSS problem on the DC. SystemState uses VSS, so that may be your problem.

I would try it while logged in as the account your are using to backup the DC, then try it as the builtin administrator account of the domain (if its different). You may get different results. Post your results. Thx.

Nick