cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver Viability when running in MS Hyper-V

deriderj
Level 3

Hi,

I have two old servers (pre-2000) that are currently used to run all business functionality at a small company that I support.  The hardware is running Windows 2000 and specifially one server is a catch-all-server that is a domain controller / DNS Server / WINS Server / Exchange Server / DHCP Server, etc.  The other server is an application server that runs the critical stock trading (communication) software used by the company.

I recently installed newer technology with a server that is running Windows Server 2008.  I am also running Hyper-V and have create several VM that are running Windows Vista to support several home grown applications that communicate with important business partners (which is what the server was specifically purchased for). 

Given the age of the two older servers and the terrible whining noise the SCSI drives are making I am considering virtualizing both servers and running them under Hyper-V on the new server.  These would be exact copies (bare metal restore to the VM).  With that background, here is the specific question regarding Backup Exec:

Can Backup Exec access a tape drive when it is running in a Windows 2000 Server environment that is running in a virtual machine under Hyper-V and Windows Server 2008?

I don't believe this is possible running in VMWare running under Windows Server 2008 (of course I may be mistaken on that) but it is my understanding that Hyper-V runs much closer to the hardware which not only gives it better performance but I am hoping provides better compatibility with proprietary hardware and drivers.

Additional Information:  We are running a 4 tape auto-loader and I can give you the details if they are important.

Thank you!

0 REPLIES 0