cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Backup Compression

kevin_russell_3
Level 3
We run a backup to desk every night and then a duplicate to tape when this has finished, At present the duplicate to tape is reporting a compression of 1.01:1 which I guess is next to nothing as the tape is full before all backups are complete.
When we used to back up direct to tape we were getting compression up to 3.3.
Is this the way it should happen and if so is there a way round it.
The duplicate job is set for harware compression only.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What kind of compression are you getting on the B2D step?

if that is being compressed, I would not expect you to get any more by Duplicating to tape

kevin_russell_3
Level 3
I have no compression on the B2D job, My reason for B2D was to increase speed and was under the impression this would just slow it up again especially as I would have to use software compression.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the D2T a regular copy type backup, or is it a duplicate. 

Only thing I can think of is   If it is a duplicate, BackupExec will not attempt to compress it, assuming that if you wanted compression, you would have compressed the original B2D job.

This is only a guess, tho, so you'll need to wait for a response from a Symantec employee.  (if they don't respond within a day or so, you could open a new thread pointing back to this one) 

kevin_russell_3
Level 3
I have checked the help files and they do not mention that duplicates cannot be compressed, In fact there is a section telling you how to turn on compression for a duplicate. I cant believe I would not be able to use the hardware function of my drive and be left with software only option, can this really be correct.

Although I have set compression on my B2D folders I cant see anywhere if this has been compressed or not as there is no figure under compression in Media or devices, Where can this be viewed.

Kevin_Hammond
Level 3
We were wondering the same things.  Did you ever get any resolution to this?

Thank you