cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Backup

Banfi
Level 5

Hi everybody!

On saturday I did a full backup that used 5 medias and the duplicate full backup used 8 medias.

Why this difference?

Time Full Backup: 26 hours

Time Copy Full Backup: 29 hours

In the theory if the backup used 5 medias the copy backup was to use 5 medias too.

Somebody Can I help me please?

I'm using Backup Exec 2010 R2.

Thanks so much!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Banfi
Level 5

Hello everybody!

I did the duplicate backup with Debug Monitor actived and the duplicated was ok.

Original backup size: 204gb

Duplicate backup size: 187gb

I will try to do this on saturday.

Regards!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you used compression with your original backup?

Are you trying to use compression again with duplicated backups?

If you are using compression with both the jobs, then that will create problems with backup sizes.

Regards...

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Could it be that the duplication only appended to tapes in the media set you used as duplication target and did not completely overwrite them? So maybe some space was already used on those media you tried to duplicate to.

Try the following:

1. Go to the restore view and select the the two backups (original and duplicate). You should get the total size in the lower part of the window. Compare them. Same size?

2. Go to the job log of the duplication and note the Media which is being used. Then again go to the restore selection, switch to "View by Media" and go through the different media you wrote down before. Expand them and look if they got any other data on them which does not belong to the duplicated backup set.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Simon -

That may be true for the first tape of the Duplicate set, but any additional tapes used will be overwritten, not appended to

Banfi
Level 5

Guys, look my configuration:

Backup Full: overwrite media / Compression Type: Hardware (if available, otherwise none)

Backup copy: overwrite media / Compression Type: Hardware (if available, otherwise none)

All medias were empties, any data in media.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Disable compression in the duplicate job and see if that changes anything interms of size.

Regards...

Banfi
Level 5

Ok Kiran!!

I will try to do the duplicate backup again.

Thanks!!

Regards!!

Banfi
Level 5

Hello everybody!

Kiran, I did the duplicate backup again without compression, but the problem continue.

I did the Differencial Backup;

1 - Differencial Backup used: 182 gb

2 - Copy Differencial Backup: 382gb

It's so many different.

Do you have any ideia about this problem?

Thanks!!

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

See what I posted in my first post and at least look at step one. Look if the backup set sizes are also shown different in the restore selection.

Banfi
Level 5

Hi Simon!!!

Thanks for your answer. So I checked the both backup (normal and copy) and both are the same size. But always the duplicate media use more than original media.

Banfi
Level 5

Hello everybody!

I did the duplicate backup with Debug Monitor actived and the duplicated was ok.

Original backup size: 204gb

Duplicate backup size: 187gb

I will try to do this on saturday.

Regards!

Banfi
Level 5

Today I did de duplicate backup again but without Debug Monitor and finished with successuful.

Thanks everybody!!!