cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Backups in BE10?

MArc_Laracuente
Level 4
Does this feature allow you to backup to disk, then pull the actual data,not the .bkf files, from the disk on to tape all in one job?

I just want to make sure I understand this feature.Message was edited by:
mlaracuente
6 REPLIES 6

Phil_Bryan
Level 3
Yes it does. When you setup a duplicate job it will start immediately after the backup to disk job is done. When you restore from tape it will be the actual files and directories, not the .bkf file. If you wanted to run the duplicate job to tape at another time(not immediately after the bu 2 disk job) you would need to setup policies which let you schedule the duplicate jobs for whenever you want.

MArc_Laracuente
Level 4
ok, just so I understand.

The job runs and backups to disk, Then when finished, the actual data, not BKF, from the disk is backed up to tape. I want to make sure the tape portion is pulling the data from the disk and not live data on the servers.

Is this correct?

Thanks ahead.

Phil_Bryan
Level 3
The duplicate pulls the data from that .bkf file that was created from the backup to disk. The duplicate shows it on tape in a regular file and directory structure. So when doing restores, you don't have to first restore that .bkf file. I had this same question when I started using backup to disk then to tape. It involves 2 jobs, 1 backup to disk job and 1 duplicate job.

MArc_Laracuente
Level 4
I can't seem to figure out how to do this and Veritas phone support always has rediculous wait times. Is there a step by step doc with a sample of how to set this up. Like taking a " Weekly Full" job that backs up to disk. I want another job to run to backup that data from the disk to tape immediately afterwards.

I have read the hlpe files but it just doesnt "help"

Thanks ahead

Jeff_Latimer
Level 4
I was unable to find a "how-to" for this. I ended up using the sample duplicate job policy that is installed by default and modified that to meet my needs. My understanding is that you need to use policies to do what you are trying to do - you cant just create the jobs manually.

There is a little bit of help in the help file for using policies. That along with your intuition should get you started. It may take a bit of experimentation. It did for me.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

The format in which Backup Exec backs up to disk and tape are different. During duplication data that gets backed up is from the disk. You may however use either of the media for restoring the data.

If you have more questions do not hesitate to revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.