cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Job then delete original media.

leeweedon
Level 5

Hello.

I'm trying to configure my duplicate jobs to tape from disk.

I'm backing up to disk, and when this complete I want BKExec to duplicate the job to tape and then delete the original from the Disk backup, how do I do this.

At the moment I have to find the media used, make sure nothing else has backed up to it then assign it to retired media, then delete it, then find the file on the disk and then delete that.

Any ideas or pointers to help me try and achieve what I need?

Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can setup a policy to first backup the data to disk and then duplicate it to tape.

But Backup Exec will not automatically delete the Disk backups. There is no functionality to delete the medias automatically.

But what you can do here is keep the Overwrite Protection Period for the Media set used for the disk backup to low value. This will delete or rather overwrite the previously written data on disk and then re-use the space.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Sush---
Level 6

You can setup a policy to first backup the data to disk and then duplicate it to tape.

But Backup Exec will not automatically delete the Disk backups. There is no functionality to delete the medias automatically.

But what you can do here is keep the Overwrite Protection Period for the Media set used for the disk backup to low value. This will delete or rather overwrite the previously written data on disk and then re-use the space.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Deleting backup sets(Automatically) from original after completing backup called archiving. Data will be backedup to vault store (disk) in this case. 

With normal backup jobs it's not possible. You need to delete the files manually after completing backup.

Regards...

leeweedon
Level 5

Thanks for your replies.

I guess i'm just going to have to work out the correct overwrite protect policy for me.

Sush---
Level 6

Just wanted to provide the information. What you are saying is absolutely correct but that is the Archive option and it will archive the data that has been backed up in the backup job.

But my understanding is that what Lee is asking is deleting of the B2D medias where the data is backed up and not deleting the data that has been backed up.

I just hope I am clear in explaining my point.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks sush... Yes it's clear.