cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate LAST Backup-To-Disk file to tape

spjallman
Level 2

Hi !

I have recently switched our BackupExec 10.0 to use "Backup-to-Disk" instead of direct to LTO tapes.

I've set Overwrite Protection and Append periods so that 10 media files are created and then reused when the OPP har run out.

I've set up a separate Backup Job for each of our nine servers, because different settings (for instance OFO or not OFO) are needed for the different servers. Separate BU jobs also makes troubleshooting easier.

These nine BU jobs are all complete (i.e not incremental) and all of them run every night. The maxium file size, OPP an AP are set so that one media file is created/updated each night (the first of the nine jobs is set to overwrite, the others set to append).

So far so good.

But as an extra precaution I also want to copy the LAST disk backup to tape for "off-site storage" once every night.

Can anyone give me advice on how to set up a scheduled job that only copies the LAST backup, i.e. the latest used media file and whatever other files needed to make the tape copy consistent and complete (nnnn.BKF, nnnn.cfg, ....)

As far as I can see there are only two options when using the "New Job to Duplicate Backup Sets" wizard:

- Either you can use "Duplicate backup sets following a job" adding a "tape job" to each "disk job", that starts immediately following the individual disk job finish(?) That would delay the whole process to much. The disk bacup must be made "off-hours", The tape copy can be made in day-time if needed.

- Or, you can us "Duplicate existing backup sets" and schedule it. But you can only select existing media (i.e. existing when the job is set up), I can't find a way to select "the latest used disk file media" or similar.

Any suggestions?

Additional comment:   The reason why I have not updated BE to the latest version is that I still have Novell Netware 6.0 servers that must be backed up. If I've understood correctly, BE10 is the last version compatible with Netware 6.0. Or am I wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Use policies...

There you can attach a duplicate template to the backup template. You can create seperate schedule for the duplicate job.

EDIT: Netware 6.0 SP 5 is supported with BE 12.5 also.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62301

Regards...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The option: "Duplicate backup sets following a job" does exactly what you want, but why is it a problem if it starts directly after the backup2disk job ?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Use policies...

There you can attach a duplicate template to the backup template. You can create seperate schedule for the duplicate job.

EDIT: Netware 6.0 SP 5 is supported with BE 12.5 also.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62301

Regards...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The maxium file size, OPP an AP are set so that one media file is created/updated each night

(the first of the nine jobs is set to overwrite, the others set to append).

When writing data to disk, there is no reason to use APPEND.  Just make all your jobs OVERWRITE.  And there is also no real reason to change the default max file size.  Just leave it at the default and let BackupExec keep track of what data is in what BKF file

spjallman
Level 2

Hi again!

Thanks a lot to you all for your input and pointing me in the right direction!

The last days I've learned a lot about polices and templates and what they are for.

Earlier I only had entered jobs separately and manually and not used policies.

Now I have four sligtly different policies each containg one backup template and one duplicate template.

So now I can separately set the schedule for the duplication to tape, just like I wanted. By scheduling and setting rules fore which job set must be completed before the others starts, I can accomplish just what I wanted.

Great!   Thanks again!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Great to know..

Cheeers...