cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate jobs, 5 backup to disk jobs, duplicate them all in one operation

joshua_cauthen
Level 3
If I were to use a policy and templates to create recurring backup jobs with matching duplication jobs I would wind up with 5 duplication actions for 5 backup jobs.

Is there a way to create 5 backup to disk jobs, and then duplicate them after the finish with a single duplication job that will pick up all 5 of the original backup to disk jobs?

Of course I'm sure this could be done manually, but I would like to execute this through policy for the ease of management.
3 REPLIES 3

John_Richards_2
Level 3
I don't believe that is possible, but you may be able to do what I've done, if your situation permits.

I have six backup selection lists, one for each server I'm backing up daily/weekly/monthly. Then I built another selection list called "All Servers", using the "Load Selections from Existing List" button and merged all six of the previous selection lists together into this new selection list.

Then I created a monthly full backup job, a weekly full backup job, and a daily differential job that uses a backup-to-disk media set with overwrite protection set for one week.

Next I created a duplication job for each of these three backup-to-disk jobs that scrolls them onto tape. The monthly duplication job uses a tape media set with overwrite protection set at six months. The weekly and daily duplication jobs both use another tape media set that has overwrite protection set at two weeks. Now I have BTD media on the disk drives for restores of anything a week old or less, with tapes to back them up for two weeks on the daily and weekly jobs, and monthly backups on tape for anything six months old or less.

As I said, your situation may not allow this, but if so, it works well for me.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Sorry but it is not possible to duplicate backup sets from different jobs using policies...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to the ?answered questions? pool.

Erwan_Esnault
Not applicable
Hello,

I managed to set up policies for this. I've got 10 backup sets.
I wrote 2 policies :
- first one with backup to disk (Planned à 17:00 on sat) and then duplication to tape (Planned à 09:00 on sun). The duplicate job OVERWRITES the tape.
- second one : with backup to disk (Planned à 17:00 on sat) and then duplication to tape (Planned à 09:30 on sun). The duplicate job APPENDS to the tape.

After that, I created jobs with the first policy for only ONE backup set and I created jobs with the second policy for all other backup sets.

In that way, the fist backup set overwrite the tape and the other backup sets are appended to the tape.

Any comments ?

Erwan.