cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication jobs stays in "queue" state and cannot be canceled.

molotov
Level 4

Hello,

I have BE2010 and some policy-based backup jobs with duplication tape-to-tape after jobs completes.

When backup-to-tape job completes duplication starts, but sometimes job's status stay in "queue" state with empty "byte count" column. This may continue for many hours without changes and without any warning\error records in windows event log.

When i open tape autoloader's (HP MSL2024) web console i see status "seeking" for drive that is the source for duplication.

I can not cancel job from BE console and BE services restart is only thing that helps to cancel that job.

This issue presents arbitrarily and i can't detect any regularity.

BE, windows (x64 2008R2) have all updates installed and autoloader has latest firmware and branded drivers.

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Make sure you run inventory before running the Job, Are you able to run job directly to Tape ?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For doing tape-to-tape duplicates you need a minimum of two drives / devices. And you should be able to use both the drives at a time, which intern requires a LEO license.

If you have an autoloader with only two tape drives, there shouldn't be any other backups running on the library. This may be the reason why your duplicate jobs are in queued state.If the same is your situation, you can go for duplicating existing backup sets.

molotov
Level 4

Thanks for reply!

I have library with two drives and i have installed license for additional drive for BE.

Duplicating tape-to-tape jobs works well at most situation, but sometimes i see "queue" state for a 3..4...12 hours :) Even if no other jobs have running.

Duplicating existing backup sets isn't my choise because i can not automate this operations. Duplicating jobs must run everyday after each backup job without any administrative effort.

molotov
Level 4

After last inventory job tape library wasn't open and tapes were not moved to\from library.

Jobs run directly to tape works well. But i need duplication following the job.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Duplicating existing backup sets isn't my choise because i can not automate this operations. Duplicating jobs must run everyday after each backup job without any administrative effort.

Symantec provides a Tempate you can use to create a Poliy to Duplicate a backup job when it finishes

See page 532 of the 2010 Admin Guide

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Symantec provides a Tempate you can use to create a Policy to Duplicate a backup job when it finishes

See page 532 of the 2010 Admin Guide

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There were no other jobs running. Which means some other problem exists.

Source drive was in seeking status, what about the other?

Appropriate media for writing the duplicate loaded into the other drive or not?

molotov
Level 4

Now i use duplicating job following the backup job. All jobs are policy-based.

Did you mean that?

molotov
Level 4

Other drive was in "idle" status and all drives were with appropriate media.