cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESX Backups failing

ultan
Level 4
Hi there,

I am trying to backup via BE 2010 VMDK files on an ESX server. First of all what are the requirements on behalf of the ESX server. I am running ESX 3.5.
Anyway I am getting errors credential errors even though I am using the root account.
 The error is very strange though

Final error: 0xe0000383 - Failed to log on to Microsoft Windows

Ensure that your logon credentials are correctly entered and that they meet the following minimum requirements to log on to a Windows computer:

- The credentials used are a member of the Backup Operators group.
   - For Windows Vista/2008 and later, the credentials have the Log on as a batch job privilege.

Additional privileges may be required to access resources on the Windows computer.
Final error category: Security Errors

So any I ideas. I can scroll down through all the VMDK files on the ESX server so it look OK! but??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Ensure that your logon credentials are correctly entered and that they meet the following minimum requirements to log on to a Windows computer:
 The credentials used are a member of the Backup Operators group.
- For Windows Vista/2008 and later, the credentials have the Log on as a batch job privilege
Also Tried creating  a account named root on the media server with same password as for root account on ESX
added it to the local admin and backup operator group

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Tovenaar
Level 3

Can you browse through the servers in backup exec with your entered credentials?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
 The credentials used are a member of the Backup Operators group.
- For Windows Vista/2008 and later, the credentials have the Log on as a batch job privilege
Also Tried creating  a account named root on the media server with same password as for root account on ESX
added it to the local admin and backup operator group

ultan
Level 4
Yes, I can browse through the servers and select what ones I want to backup  etc.

@RahulG I dont understand! Shouldnt the ESX root password let you backup the VMDK files that it hosts? Do I have to submit TWO accounts then to backup a VMDK file? One for the ESX server the other for the guest itself?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Yes you can do so Or propbably you can just created an idential account on your ESX server with same username and passowrd ...

ultan
Level 4
OK thanks, think I have it. The credentials have to be different for the VMDK file