Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest way to get data off of media

John_Rodgers
Level 3
Scenario:
I have four tape libraries
All sending tapes offsite

If I receive a tape from Iron Mountain and I don't know what library it goes back into, is there a way to quickly insert it into any library and find out what is on there?

Something simple, but I want to get this correct.. Do you catalog?
5 REPLIES 5

John_Rodgers
Level 3
anyone?

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

In this case, you have inventory the tape first, so that Backup Exec recognises the tape, and then you will have to perform a catalog operation.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

John_Rodgers
Level 3
So after it is cataloged-what then? How do I see what is on the tape? Where do I go in BE to see it?

Thanks,

John_Rodgers
Level 3
You then go to the Job Histore and the log should tell you want you need to know. If you need more info set the Job Log to more details.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
An alternative way is to go to All Media within the Media tab, find your tape barcode, Right-mouse click and choose "restore"...

The restore window will indicate what is on this tape

Not only does this tell you what is on this specific tape, but indicates what other tapes are in the backup set which will be required for a restore if the backup spans more than one tape.