cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eject versus Export

Tony_Smith_2
Level 3
What would be the difference between checking the eject after job completes option in a template, and creating an export template and linking that to the backup job template? We are having problems with exporting. If there are multiple tapes to export, the job fails after the first tape, saying the destination is full. So I was wondering if using eject was a viable option.

thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As long as the next job specifies OverWrite, or is pointed at a different media set than the one on the tape in the drive, "Eject on End" does not need to be checked. BackupExec will unload the currently loaded tape to the library and load whatever tape it needs to run the follow-on job.

If you want to "export" more than one volume, you'll need to do it manually, AFAIK

Tony_Smith_2
Level 3
That is fine, however, I want to actually remove the tape from the library. I want it to be put in the mailbox slot so that it can be removed and sent offsite.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I understand, but as long as you have only one export/mail slot, only one Export job can be run until the tape is physically removed and the slot freed up. That's what I mean by exporting manually for more than one tape

Tony_Smith_2
Level 3
I guess what I'm asking is...does the eject option have anything to do with putting the tape into the mailbox, or does it only mean eject from the drive, and put it into the magazine.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Eject just removes the tape from the drive, placing it back in the library.

SirEbrum
Level 3
Partner
Agreed, as we use the "Eject" check-box when used with a stand-alone drive.

- Tom

Tony_Smith_2
Level 3
Perfect, thanks for your help.