cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Notification does not work

ChicoJr
Not applicable
smtp port 25 is open, unselected users/submitted and then rechecked them that doesn't work either. Utilizing the servers ip address and also did the fqdn and send a test and that doesnt work either. Made sure that Exchange system manager is setup properly. I do not get any test messages and need help getting it to work properly. Please Assist!!!!
1 REPLY 1

George_Kenny
Level 3

Hello ChicoJr. You are having the same problem that I have had and has been documented of forums.symantec.com for months without a valid solution.

Two other post which seem to be of similar issue are:

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=be11dOther&message.id=1876

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=be11dOther&message.id=3971#M3971

I am adamant the problem is with the 11d notification component - reason for this is that if I telnet to the exchange server I can log into ExchangeSystemManager and phyiscally see the smtp session open. If I do the same, but send a simple test SMTP message from 11d, then I do not get any attempt on the exchange to establish an smtp connection.

Common solutions have been referenced as the below (none of which have fixed the issue for me, but may be the solution for your particular issue).

1) Ensure McAfee 8.x (if being used) has the mass mailing worm protection on port 25 disabled.

2) If there is a hardware firewall between your backup server and your smtp, then enable port 25 traffic

3) For the sender server, try using the IP (to bypass possible DNS issue) or short server name, or full servername (ie: server.domain.local)

4) For the username, try the Admin AD account or try "domain\username" format.

5) Check password - of course

6) Install SP3 and latest Hotfix 

I think Symantec have skirted round this issue as I fail to get a response on this matter and some installs of 11d seem to have no problem whatsoever and other seem to fail without due reason. I have done all tests on the network to isolate the issue down to the BUE.