cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erasing the files inside the tapes.

iskawtf
Level 3
Hi guys, i just want to kindly ask again if is it possible to delete the files written on my tapes?

I performed a test backup of my files and the backup jobs were succesfful, however I need to erase the files I've written on the tapes so I can use it again.

I read this article about Erase, Long Erase and Quick Erase http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/238752.htm it said that I can perfrom Erase if Backup Exec cannot write to it ( media ) so I am having doubt if I should perform Erase jobs on my tapes.

So I am asking for your suggestions again about my problem.

Tips and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
iskawt.
4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6
A quick erase is generally enough in 98% of cases.

An Erase Job is for when a backup is written with something other than NTBackup or BackupExec, or perhaps you suspect it's bad media.

A long erase is a good for uber security measures.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
As your original question seems to imply that you just want to erase them to re-use them, then you don't need to do an erase job at all - just sort out your overwrite protection periods so that the tapes can be used when you want them to be and Backup Exec will re-use them based on the overwrite rules. There is a good table explaining these rules in the Managing Media section of the admin guide.

iskawtf
Level 3
sir Colin, all the 7 tapes are full with files. Each tape has 37 GB space.

Can i re - use them again without deleting the files inside?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes - as long as your Ovewrite Protection settings for the media sets the tapes are in mean they are now overwriteable - and you do need to look in the chapter in the admin guide about managing media so that you can understand the rules of how Backup Exec will select and use overwriteable media.

Your other option is to manually move te emedia to the scratch set which will make them overwriteable