Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 0xe00084ec- Backup Exec 12.0 Rev 1364

jllc77
Level 2

OS- Windows Storage Server 2003 SP2, Dell Server PV500

Tape Drive- Dell PV124T

Final error: 0xe00084ec - A tape read/write error has occurred. This is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues. Final error category: Backup Media Errors

I am receiving this error when performing a monthly backup. The error is displayed about halfway through the job. There are no issues with daily/weekly backups. I have cleaned the tape drive several times with 2 different tapes. I have read that this could be an issue with the size and/or lack of space within the deduplication folder. I haven't been able to find where that folder is located.

Am I on the right track?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have a look at the media which are in use for monthly backup jobs as you are getting the error only during monthly backups. If those medias are having any errors, that may be the issue. Try using different medias for maonthly job and see if it completes successfully.

Regards....

pkh
   VIP    Certified

this could be an issue with the size and/or lack of space within the deduplication folder

I don;t understand what the dedup folder has to do with your tape backup.

Usually, if a tape drive demands to be cleaned although it has just been cleaned, it means that it is faulty.  Ran the Dell diagnostic utility against the tape drive.  Make sure that you stopped the BE services first and select the write test.  If the tape drive failed the utility test, it would be easier to convince Dell to replace the tape drive.  Otherwise, insist that it be replaced if it keeps asking to be cleaned.

jllc77
Level 2

I've already tried a second set of tapes for the monthly backup and I received the same error. The deduplication folder reference was on account of the size of the backup and the lack of space on the disk.

Which Dell Diagnostic Utility are you referring to? This tape drive is out of warranty, so I'm wondering what else can be done. 

Thanks for the help.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Which Dell Diagnostic Utility are you referring to?

I don't use Dell libraries, so I cannot tell you the name.  You would have to get it from Dell.

I think you should plan on replacing the tape drive.