cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Cataloging Media

EvanNY
Level 4

I need to perform a restore from tapes dating back to 2009.  When i try to Catalog the media i get the follwing errors:

Error category    : Backup Media Errors
Error             : e0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. 
To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, 
run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-2304

I also received:

Error category    : Backup Media Errors
Error             : e00084d4 - End of data set was unexpectedly encountered.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34004

I have tried several time with different options set under catalog, I have tried with Request all media in the sequence option, I have also tried with and without using storeate media-based catalogs.  Nothing has helped.

The tapes were created with a different install of backup exec, but the same version.  Before I catalog the media tapes, do i need to import them?  Will this resolve my issues?

Thanks for the help.

-Evan

3 REPLIES 3

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Dear Sir:

If the tape names are listed in Backup Exec, then delete them, using "Associate with media set" and choose Retired Media, and then Delete.

If they are not listed, then inventory the tape library to add them.

Uncheck the options "Request all media...." and "Use storage based..." in Tools Options Catalogs and restart the services.

Now inventory the tape library if you have not done so, and catalog the tapes one by one.

Regards,

EvanNY
Level 4

The tapes are listed in the "imported media" media set.  They are listed here because i have previously completed an inventory when i first started this project.

I have previously tried the options you mentioned.  This is when I received the message:

e00084d4 - End of data set was unexpectedly encountered.

Does this media need to be imported being it was created with a different installation of Backup Exec?

Thanks

-Evan

John_Bonaccorso
Level 4

Evan, Carlos is correct, this is something that never made sense to me at ALL, but I can tell you you have to inventory the tapes first, then run your catalog job and then your restore job will work.  Be sure to write protect any tapes that are that old before putting them in your library, just in case a backup job kicks off and sees them as scratch media.