cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Resoring Files

Tom_Jacobson
Level 3
Error category : Backup Media Errors
Error : a00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

That is the error I receive when trying to restore a folder. I have tried the same folder from different tapes/jobs with no luck. I can restore data from before and after that folder from the tapes, I have tried with and without the Veritas tape drivers, cleaned the tape drive, different controllers, slowed the SCSI speed down, different machines, and have also tried from version 9.0, and 9.1 with various service packs.

The only thing that I can think of is that this folder has a large number of files inside. (50,000) Could that be the problem? When I pull a catalog off the tape it does list all the files correctly, but I cannot restore any data (even 1 file) from the folder.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom Jacobson
EnterNetworks
15 REPLIES 15

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
According to the BE knowledgebase this error might something to do with hardware errors or tape problems. You might try to re-catalog the tape and see if you can restore files from it but there is no guarantee

Regards
A van der Boom

Tom_Jacobson
Level 3
Thanks for response, I have tried to re-catalog the tape with no luck. I have read the knowledgebase and have tried the recommended fixes. It is odd that the drive has a problem reading the same folder on different tapes, yet I am able to restore data from those tapes from any other folder.

Tom Jacobson
EnterNetworks

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

The error "The data being read from the media is inconsistent" may appear if the media is corrupt or the tape is damaged

Go to tools options and click on the catalog tab and uncheck the box use "storage media based catalogs and rerun the catalog operation.

Stop "Removable storage" service and change the startup type to manual.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Tom_Jacobson
Level 3
Thanks for the ideas, but they didn't work either. The problem does not appear to be media cause it will error on multiple tapes when trying to restore only this folder. As I stated previously I can pull data off any tape from before or after this folder. Is there a file limit per folder?

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Tom Jacobson
EnterNetworks

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Are you able to restore from tape some files from within this folder, to the same location or a different location ?

Regards
A van der Boom

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Does the issue with the error '0xe00084ca' persists? If yes, check if the backup was successful w ithout any exceptions. Was the folder in question backed up well?
Was there any corruption in the files within the folder when it was backed up?

Do update on the status of this problem. If the issue persists, also check if there are any errors in the Windows event logs.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Jake_Norman
Level 3
If I am reading what you are saying correctly then the problem persists for the same folder on any tape you try to restore from. This tells me that the data itself could be corrupt and may have been for an extended period of time. Or it could be the spot on the hard drive where the data resides is going bad, which tends to corrupt data. Try moving the folder to another hard drive (if possible) and doing a mini-back up of just that folder and then restoring it. If it works, then you can narrow the problem down some more, taking corrupt data out of the equation.

Jake
F&R

Tom_Jacobson
Level 3
Yes the problem persists for the same folder across multiple tapes/jobs. (And only that folder.) The data is not corrupt, it is in a working folder that is accessed daily. I am able to move the data to another machine with no issues. There are no errors listed in either the backup log or event viewer during backup, just the error I listed during restore. I have mounted the tape drive into other machines using different controllers/settings/speeds all with the same results. Are there no files per folder limits?

Thanks,

Tom Jacobson
EnterNetworks

Jake_Norman
Level 3
You mean file per folder limits in Windows or that Veritas can handle? We currently have folders that contain hundreds of files that are backing up nightly without issue.

All evidence points to something wrong with that directory and/or folders. I guess you could try to halve that folder into two folders and see if the backup then works correctly.

Have you tried restoring that folder using File ReDirection to another location on the server to see if the problem persists then?

Jake
F&R

Tom_Jacobson
Level 3
I mean that Veritas can handle. The folder contains 50,000+ files in one directory. I have tried the restore redirection, but all it will restore is the root folder. (No files.) Even if I mark to restore corrupt data it doesn't seem to be able to.

Tom Jacobson
EnterNetworks

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the technote given below.

(title) The error "The data being read from the media is inconsistent." (e00084ca HEX or a00084ca HEX) occurs when running a backup.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273455

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Tom_Jacobson
Level 3
Will need more time to properly test this solution.

Thanks,

Tom Jacobson
EnterNetworks

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please update.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Tom_Jacobson
Level 3
No, unfortunately that did not help. Anyone else have ideas?

Thanks again,

Tom Jacobson
EnterNetworks

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Tom,

Is there by chance a file or files with ain invalid name, such as one created by a Mac?

There have been several reports of such issues crashing Veritas in the past.