cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error because of an I/O device error,

Not applicable
Hello, I need help with a problem with my software (Backup Exec 8.60). I have Backup Exec in Windows 2000 Server.My device is a IBM Ultrium LTO, using hp ultrium 200 GB* data cartridge.The error is:Storage device "HP Ultrium" reported an error on a request to write datato media.Error reported:The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.^ ^ ^ ^ ^and it's strange, because it occurs only sometimes. For examples, I make a completely copy daily, from monday to fryday (appending)(scheduled job). If we suppose it makes satisfactory on monday, tuesday andwednesday (appending), then it fails on thursday (I think it'snot fault ofspace in the data cartridge). Then on friday it begin overwriting ,and nextmonday it appends, and so on next tuesday, but again on wednesday it fails. Is there anything in the default configuration or about the software thatI forgot ?Thanks / Gracias
9 REPLIES 9

Not applicable
We have compression activated. If it were problem of room on the cartridge, which would be the message error?Would it appear the message during the writting?Any sugerence?Any help is greatly appreciated

Not applicable
Maria Gomez wrote:> Hello, I need help with a problem with my software (Backup Exec 8.60). > > I have Backup Exec in Windows 2000 Server.> My device is a IBM Ultrium LTO, using hp ultrium 200 GB* data cartridge.> > > The error is:> > Storage device "HP Ultrium" reported an error on a request to write data> to media.> > Error reported:> The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.> > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^> and it's strange, because it occurs only sometimes. > For examples, I make a completely copy daily, from monday to fryday (appending)> (scheduled job). If we suppose it makes satisfactory on monday, tuesday and> wednesday (appending), then it fails on thursday (I think it'snot fault of> space in the data cartridge). Then on friday it begin overwriting ,and next> monday it appends, and so on next tuesday, but again on wednesday it fails.> > > Is there anything in the default configuration or about the software that> I forgot ?> > Thanks / Gracias> > > Are you current on drivers and firmware for both the Controller and Tape Drive?Are you using Veritas drivers for the Tape Unit, if so, try manufacturer drivers.

Not applicable
Mary wrote:> We have compression activated. > > If it were problem of room on the cartridge, which would be the message error?> > > Would it appear the message during the writting?> > Any sugerence?> > Any help is greatly appreciatedif the tape fills up you will get either a "Mount Scratch Tape" message or the "This Volume already contains data from this backup" message.

Not applicable
Thanks. Do you think that it can be a hardware fail, or of configuration?Ken Putnam wrote:>Mary wrote:>> We have compression activated. >> >> If it were problem of room on the cartridge, which would be the messageerror?>> >> >> Would it appear the message during the writting?>> >> Any sugerence?>> >> Any help is greatly appreciated>>if the tape fills up you will get either a "Mount Scratch Tape" message>or the "This Volume already contains data from this backup" message.

Not applicable
Mary wrote:> Thanks. > > Do you think that it can be a hardware fail, or of configuration?> > > > Ken Putnam wrote:> >>Mary wrote:>>>>>We have compression activated. >>>>>>If it were problem of room on the cartridge, which would be the message> > error?> >>>>>>Would it appear the message during the writting?>>>>>>Any sugerence?>>>>>>Any help is greatly appreciated>>>>if the tape fills up you will get either a "Mount Scratch Tape" message> > >>or the "This Volume already contains data from this backup" message.> > > Certainly could be. From my other post:Are you current on drivers and firmware for both the Controller and Tape Drive?Are you using Veritas drivers for the Tape Unit, if so, try manufacturer drivers.

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
Please make sure that the Tape Device you are using is compatible with Veritas Hardware Compatibility List(HCL).

http://support.veritas.com/dsl/lists/device_ddProduct_BEWNT_media_all_prod1_NT86.htm

(Please copy and paste the complete URL in the browser window.)

Note:If backup device does not exist in the HCL then VERITAS does not guarantee the functionality of the backup device. It may or may not function as
expected. You may like try using VERITAS driver for the model, that is most closing match to your drive.

This error could occur due to Driver, bad media or improper SCSI configuration i.e. probably need to lower the SCSI transfer rate or update SCSI firmware.

Following technote may help you in resolving the issue :

- http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191694.htm

-

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191087.htm

Check for any error in drive properties :

--On the Devices Tab, right click on the name of the tape drive, then select Properties

-- Click on the Statistics Tab.

Ciprian_Pasare
Level 4
I was getting the same message, even though some backups worked...I fixed it though by replacing the SCSI Cable, somehow it wasn't working right.

Jerry_2
Not applicable
We have this exact same problem using Veritas BE 8.6. Sometimes this error appears in the backup log with a failure and othertimes our server completely reboots during the backup! We have a Dell Ultrium 2 drive (made by IBM). I have tried all drivers--Veritas and those supplied by Dell. I have swapped out the SCSI card (as well as upgraded the SCSI firmware) and tried different cables and even swapped out the tape drive itself. We still have this problem.

I'm going to try lowering the maximum sync transfer rate on the SCSI card to see if that helps, but this has been totally frustrating. The backup sometimes goes flawlessly, but usually either reboots the server or ends with that I/O error. So far, nothing we have tried has fixed this problem...

Dave_Hengstebec
Level 3
Having the same issue, is there any resolution on this? Win2k server running HP LTO autoloader, brand new device and the error is intermittent.