cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error but Job completes with Status "Recovered", tries to run twice.

Donald_Wilson_2
Level 2
In the log it shows the error "The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding" Meanwhile the job runs, launches a retry which fails due to a time out.
Occasionally the Job engine will stop as well, on two different servers.

1st server P4 2.8
Windows Server 2000 SP4
Quantum L700 Superloader 3

2nd server Dual 3gig Xeon in an Intel Blade
Windows Server 2000 SP4
Backup to disk
10 REPLIES 10

Simon_1976
Level 4
Partner
Post the related windows event log. you can find these messages in the system event log and application event log.

Donald_Wilson_2
Level 2
Ok, found a few consistencies in the log files. About 7 hours into the backup, probably at the end, I get these events:

In the Application log;
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "SRV-UPDATES") (Job: "Backup 0007") Backup 0007 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

In the System log;
The Backup Exec Job Engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

After a day or two of this, the Backup job engine will be stopped.

Don_Wilson
Level 2
Same issue last night, job appears completed but status recovered. Errors to the effect the job engine service is not responding.

Job engine service stopped again.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
The status 'Recovered' is a little misleading. What happens is when the job kicks off, if the Job Engine service stops for any amount of time, the status of the job changes first to 'Stalled' then to 'Recovered'. You can apply error handling rules to jobs that get to the 'Recovered' state like rerunning them. These status timouts can be set in Tools | Options | Job Status and Recovery. The whole problem is that the service is stopping. That's what needs to be worked... What is being backed up when the service stops? Try breaking up the job into smaller parts to see if some particular resource is being hit when the engine stops.

Russ

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
I have the same issue and the responses are typically unhelpful, for a so called moderated forum the participation of symantec employees is thin on the ground. My jobs have been running well for 3 days then i get this issue. The big problem is that getting a successful status for 3 days is a victory for this dog of a product. Every morning get to work and get a success status from my three brightstore installs and a failure from BE. When i finally sort it out it lasts for 3 days, what an acheivement.

Why does my job engine fail all of a sudden? When I reboot the server and restart the job the same thing happens. This product has major flaws that Symantec must address, if not they will just loose customers. When I am in a position to set my new budget next year I will be getting brightstore to replace BE so that I don' t need to attend to this dog on a daily basis.

Michael_Fischer
Level 2
I'm having the same problem - does really nobody have any solution?

scott_sexson
Level 2
I fixed this error with the help of symantec phone technical support. Evidently we had a "corrupted" catalog.
All you have to do is rename the old folder where the catalogs are found ( in my case it was c:\program files\veritas\backupexec\NT) and Backup Exec will create a new one and the backup will run normally.
Thank you technical support from India!

peter_zelonis
Level 4
I am having this same issue. I renamed the old catalogue but issue persists. We do not have a service agreement with Symantec so I can't call their support. Has anyone else been able to resolve these issues.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Mine was fixed when I deleted all my jobs, policies and selection lists and started again. I also turned off verification

maj170123
Level 3
One thing that might help... I had this same issue. It only came up as "Recovered" a few times. Coincedentally, it only happens when I change my schedule.

I changed my backups from running at 12:30AM to 1:30AM. For some reason the backups were still going to 12:30AM. The effective date, schedule and everything was correct, but under job monitor I noticed they were still scheduled for 12:30AM. I went through each one of the job and opened the effective date and hit ok and then submit (I didn't change anything). The job monitor then said that they were to run at the correct time (1:30AM). I don't know if this may be the case for you as well. If not, at least help someone else that searches throught his thread.

Thanks

Matt