cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error connecting to the Backup Exec Remote Agent for NetWare Servers.

Steve_Koss
Level 3
Having problems selecting files for Novell Netware servers. The servers are running Netware 6.0. I remotely installed the agent, and am unable to browse to the volumes to create backup jobs.

I also remotely installed the Windows agent and this is working correctly.

In doing some research, I found an article on changing the ndmp port. I tried this and it still did not work so I changed it back to the default 10000. I don't think this is the problem as the Windows agent works correctly using this port.
18 REPLIES 18

criley
Employee Accredited
Do you see the remote NetWare server when you go to Remote Selections-->NetWare Agents? If so, what error do you get when you try to expand the volumes? You need to make sure that the logon account you are using is in the correct format (i.e. .admin.symantec).

Also, make sure that you can ping by server name in both directions. If not, update the hosts files on both sides (hosts file for NetWare is sys:\etc\hosts).

Chris

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please give us an update about the issue..?

Is the issue resolved..?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.

Steve_Koss
Level 3
Problem still un-resolved.

I can successfully ping both ways by server name.

Under Remote Selections / NetWare Agents, I can see the entire list of NetWare servers. When I try to expand the volumes for a server, I get the following error:

An Error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of <server name>. Error connecting to the Backup Exec Remote Agent for NetWare Servers. Make sure the Remote Agent Netware is running on the target computer.

criley
Employee Accredited
Can you check that the remote agent is running on your NetWare server...check that NDMPD.NLM is loaded. Also, check sys:\bkupexec\version.doc - what version\build is the remote agent. If it's old, you will probably need to update to the latest version. See the following TechNote for more information:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278781

Rafael_Tejada
Level 3
I also am having the same issue with trying to connect to Netware 6.0 servers SP%. I have Backup Exec for Windows with all the lateset patches as of today and the Remote Agents installed correctly on the Netware 6.0 servers. I had this running with no problem for months , and now ........out the blue it stop connection.

Its asking to make sure that the Remote Agents for NetWare is running. When I checked to see if the agent is running. ..........it says it does have the agent runing. I also tried to install the remote agents to these servers.........still no conenction.

I have all the host files edited correctly with the Media server , which is an XP Pro SP2 w/ firewall disabled computer and also all the Host files edited on all the NetWare servers at the sys: etc\host file. I can ping both ways with no problems. I've recheck to see if my license is correct and it seems to be fine also. Is there some type of a expiration issues with the license? Why all of a sudden they can't connect to the Netware Server?

Seems like theres a few people with the same issue recently. Interesting.

criley
Employee Accredited
Have you installed any Backup Exec hot fixes or patches onto your windows server recently? If so, you will need to update the remote agent for NetWare as per my post above. Again, check in sys:\bkupexec\version.doc to see what version/build of the remote agent you are running..

Steve_Koss
Level 3
The agent is loaded on the NetWare server and NDMPD.NLM is loaded. The version\build of the agent is 9.1 Build 1158.5.

One additional item to mention, when I do a remote install of the agent to the NetWare server, I get the message that says:

The Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers has been deployed on the selected systems. Select Next to continue.

When I select Next, I get a message that says The wizard was interrupted before the selected program could be remotely installed.

Steve_Koss
Level 3
No new service packs have been installed recently. This was a new install of BackupExec 10d on a new WIndows Server 2003 machine.

criley
Employee Accredited
Just going back to your first comment....you did reload the remote agent (BESTOP followed by BESTART) after putting the port back to 10000 didn't you?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276745

Steve_Koss
Level 3
Yes, I have unloaded and re-loaded the BackupExec agent multiple times on the NetWare server since changing the port back to 10000. I have also restarted the services multiple times on the media server.

Jeff_Hansen_2
Level 2
I have the same problem here. I was hoping the hotfixes mentioned in this article

> http://support.veritas.com/docs/278781

would be the solution, but they are for 10.0 and 10.0 SP1.

I am running 10d (10.1 Rev. 5629) on the media server. The Netware agent is 9.1 build 1158.5.

criley
Employee Accredited
Another thing that is worth checking...

The logon account that you use to authenticate to your NetWare Servers - can you check to see what format it's in. It should be in the following format:

.admin.symantec (Note: the leading dot is critical)

Chris

Jeff_Hansen_2
Level 2
Yes, my logon account is in that format (.admin.ou.o). It doesn't seem to even try to authenticate, it errors out too quickly.

Steve_Koss
Level 3
Where and how do I set up the login name and password that BackupExec uses to connect to the Netware servers? I used the fully qualified login when I ran the remote agent install.

Jeff_Hansen_2
Level 2
> Where and how do I set up the login name and password
> that BackupExec uses to connect to the Netware
> servers? I used the fully qualified login when I ran
> the remote agent install.

Under Network > Login Accounts. Click New and supply the Netware credentials for the user object that will backup your Netware resources. Check the box for restricted account.

Steve_Koss
Level 3
Here is another interesting point. Our 8.6 installation of BackupExec can browse through these Netware volumes fine. Is there a problem in BackupExec version 10d? What do the folks at Symantec have to say about this?

criley
Employee Accredited
The only other thing that I can think of is deleting & re-creating the system logon account:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279529

Steve_Koss
Level 3
I worked with Symantec phone support on this issue and the following items needed to be done:

1) Download the latest TSA update and replace the SMS files. See this link: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2971717.htm. Before you replace the SMS files, please unload and rename the current ones so they are not over written. This way you have a backup of them. Once doing that, restart Remote Agent for NetWare (RANW) on the NetWare server and cycle all of the Backup Exec for Windows Servers (BEWS) services.

2) Uninstall the RANW (Remote Agent for NetWare) from the NetWare server and reinstall it by following the link: http://support.veritas.com/docs/280506 - Backup Exec 9.1.1158.5 Remote Agent for NetWare.

3) Add the IP address and server name for the Netware server in the host file on the Media server. The hosts file is located in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\.

4) In the BEWS (Backup Exec for Windows Servers) go to Tools / Options / NetWare SMS and add the Novell server name to the General box under Display the following servers.